thirty bees forum

plugins store

annafjmorris

Hi, one of the things which has always botherd me about prestashop is the plugins store. Many of the plugins on the official store are very expensive, totally out of our league, and the cheaper plugins are on other random sites all over the web. Plus it's hard to try plugins and get refunds etc.

I generally prefer the WordPress plug-ins store as a model, everything free and all in one place, though there are some obvious problems there too, it's SO hard for developers to make money on the plugins store that many of the plugins are freemium in an annoying way. I always think something in between, a mix of free, crowd funded, support payments and licence key models, all on a central store, would be great.

I wonder what your thoughts and plans are on this?

The ridiculous prices in ps store is their politics. Same modules and themes could be found on themeforest for 1/2 to 1/3 the money they are on ps store. They want to earn more than the developer who actually made all the efforts. Greedy fu.ks!

I have the same thoughts, prices are crazy but mostly because PS want a big piece of the cake. I try to find modules from other sources, codecanyon is one of them. We used Opencart before and the plugins were so much cheaper. It is almost hopeless to get refunds from PS, I am fighting one case now and has escalated it to a claim on Paypal, but we will see. Paypal has never been good at resolving issues when it is software and nothing is sent with snail mail. The developer I fight with just don't answer emails, not a sound. It is a module for 130 € and I don't want to loose them. I had a long conversation on mail with the developer BEFORE I bought, also sent him test files to be sure it worked. And I got back that it was no problem. But when it did NOT work, the support is silent

The import worked without a problem but it imported all categories as parents and instead of the 7 parents I use I got all 134 on the same level.

I now use a module called Fast Import from Denmark and it works perfectly after some developer tweaking

Here are all kind of persons ofc. Merchants, Theme Designer and Coders. I am the first two and learning the third. But don't worry, you don't have to do this as well. Only thing merchants need to show now is patience.

The thirty bees team is surely thankful, if you help. The translation part can be done, without having to know about HTML, CSS or PHP.

I'm a developer @addons but prices are seemly fair, at least mine is:) Prices are set by the seller NOT by Prestashop. Prices at Themeforest en CodeCanyon are way lower but those prices are set by Envato. And i can say: Envato starts with a VERY low price and once your module is selling big time the price will rise rise and rise. My module at the end was tripled the price from where it started...and still i didn't break even on the development time/costs. They are also taking way too much profit of the price, much more than addons. I switched from Envato to Addons and finally i'm making good money now. Now it's worth to add new features and continue developing the module (not even mentioning the quality of Envato vs Addons Prestashop)

Everything is not black and white ofc but after a couple of fights with developers over not functioning but expensive modules I am frustrated. Just yesterday I finally got money back for a 150 € module that did not work as said. No reply what so ever from the developer after I bought it. Very talkative before. I made it a dispute on Paypal, the developer did not answer anything, then the day before yesterday I raised it to a claim and Paypal got involved. Even if Paypal is not very good at solving problems with digital goods this time it took 24 hours before the full amount were paid back and the claim closed

I can understand that 2 parts must make money out of the modules but still prices are still crazy sometime. So nowadays if the task can be solved with a php script I rather pay for that directly to a developer and get exactly what I need and not a lot of extras. There is a LOT of very skilled developers out there.

Hi @Doopie,

I have purchased for my clients about 5 modules from Envato and 3 from ps addons, and all the modules are crap. I will be a shame to publish a code like that, even if I need to release it as open source it still be embarrassing to write a crappy code like that. I don't mind to pay for a module because time is money, but at least sell something good (and support it). Most times it's cheaper for my client to purchase a module for $100 instead of paying me to develop.

Of course I am not talking about your modules (because I haven't purchased anything from you yet! i hope :smiley: )

@yaniv14 said in plugins store:

Hi @Doopie,

I have purchased for my clients about 5 modules from Envato and 3 from ps addons, and all the modules are crap. I will be a shame to publish a code like that, even if I need to release it as open source it still be embarrassing to write a crappy code like that. I don't mind to pay for a module because time is money, but at least sell something good (and support it). Most times it's cheaper for my client to purchase a module for $100 instead of paying me to develop.

Of course I am not talking about your modules (because I haven't purchased anything from you yet! i hope :smiley: )

It's how I think too. Make good modules and set a fair price. If you publish a superb blog module, why not asking for 100$? It's not that much for (western) shop owners. What sucks: you buy a module, you use it two weeks, then you have to switch to another one...

I have a module that is selling for 39 euro's ( lowest price for a Prestashop addon) and it's selling really good. BUT , you all forget something: This sht just happend. Customer buys my module, strange shit is happening in his shop. Blames my module ans says it's not working. After DB inspection and debugging my module is working right but some other module is fcking things up. That is something that needs to get paid too you know. My time is not free.

Why do you want to pay 5 euro's for a module(just for example, don't flame :) ) but want unpaid support if something goes wrong in your shop because of your configuration or other installed shitty FREE module. You could say: Well if i have problems i would gladly pay. In that case the module would get very expensive for you, because then we charge are regular hour fee.

You are paying for support and development too. That's what i mean to tell you. In my case at least :)

But in my case. I am interested in a module for XML import of products into the category tree. I find a promising one. I send my XML files to the developer together with a description for what I want to achieve. Is this possible? The developer quickly answers yes it is. I buy the module and find out that yes it import the XML, but all my 134 categories are now main instead of 7 main and the rest subs. Contact with the developer, after five days an answer that yes there can be a problem. you don't have another file, perhaps CSV. I answered NO After not hearing anything for 5 days I wrote and told the developer that because of lack of support and a module that can not solve my task I want a refund. I also wrote that I started a dispute on Paypal. After another few days, I got an answer that the refund request he would answer in the PS ticket system. I never heard a word, despite I reminded. When time was almost out to raise the dispute to a claim in Paypal I did that and also wrote the developer about it. He never answered, but 24 hours after the claim was made the refund was done. The developer never answered any of the emails from Paypal

Could I do something in another way? I wrote to 3 different developers about their module with the same question, Does this work. The other two said NO. I finally found a working module in Denmark.

If this had been a 5 USD module I would not have bothered, but this one was 150€.

Developers @addons MUST reply within 48 hours otherwise you can complain @addons and they'll get banned and you get a refund :) So in that case, yes you could, ban them >:)

BTW: And yet another customer claiming my module didn't work ( 5 star rated, yeah sure) : Outcome: Old bugged version Prestashop and bug in the blocklayered module. Fixed his PS and Blocklayered for free.

But the 150 euro is way less then what you had to pay for a custom module or script isn't it?

I paid half for the working one. But I have realized that much can be done in a simpler way by PHP. No nice modules in back office but anyhow I get from the supplier every hour a CSV file stock updates. It contains 2 columns, reference-nr, and quantity. I have an import module installed but it took an eternity to update the 5600 rows in the product table so I found a PHP script on stackoverflow that I adjusted a little and now run every hour by cron. It takes less than 10 sec to do the job and cost me nothing. I am very aware that not everyone can do like me but I hope that this forum turn out to be what it should be, a place where users help each other. To use PS forum for the same purpose is useless, no one answer There is room for all. But I think it is time to somehow have a system that evaluate the quality of the modules and themes. How it can be done I have no clue about. But this way I think that the developers can earn a little more money because the users are prepared to pay more for a high quality and tested module My 2p.