thirty bees forum

Docs - We Need Your Help!

Greetings One and All,

As you know proper documentation is an integral part of any enterprise. While we are doing our best to get those docs up and in as much detail as possible, it is a long and arduous road. At present, we really only have 2 people contributing in whatever spare time they happen to have. This means it will take quite some time for the docs to be completed.

As such, we are requesting all community members to chip in and help wherever and whenever they can. If you are bored or got some spare time, feel free to document a category, a section, a phrase, or clean up whats already written. ANY contributions are greatly appreciated by the community at large! The faster we can get documentation up, the faster we can convert even more people to the thirty bees way!

Don't like the pulls/requests of github or don't know jekyll? No problem. Just post your write ups here or pm and I'll get them added.

You can visit the docs here: http://docs.thirtybees.com

So, if you happen to be in a helping mood, we will be eagerly awaiting your arrival :)

I know this is not the most efficient way to do this but I can't see creating a fork for one little typo:

http://docs.thirtybees.com/#getting-started server environent and getting thirtybees installed!

environment

I tried to edit it but got this message:

"You’re editing a file in a project you don’t have write access to. Submitting a change to this file will write it to a new branch in your fork quandaries/docs, so you can send a pull request."

I don't know jekyll and I don't know pulls/requests of github. If I need a tutorial on that first, it will be more labor-intensive.

Is there an easier way to do this? I'm sorry I just made more work!

If you don't want to deal with the pull branches and understanding Jekyll you can just post here and one of us will input into docs. Otherwise, you can just follow along a previously made page, but again whatever is easiest for you.

Not near a computer right now but I'll fix the typo in a bit. Anything else you find feel free to mention. ???

@alwayspaws said in Docs - We Need Your Help!:

I tried to edit it but got this message:

"You’re editing a file in a project you don’t have write access to. Submitting a change to this file will write it to a new branch in your fork quandaries/docs, so you can send a pull request."

Github and their stupid forking enforcement. Everywhere else in the world forking is considered to be a bad thing, kind of a last resort. Some even consider (non-fast-forward) merging to be evil.

Perhaps opening up a real Wiki is a better idea. DokuWiki works nicely, has syntax similar to MediaWiki/Wikipedia and needs no database, so it can be backed up with Git easily.

Lol, no worries Stephanie. I just meant you can edit another page that's already completed to see the format if you wanted to see the markup used by Jekyll.

However, as stated before, you can just let us know in this thread or pm any corrections or additions and we will get it added!

Thanks for your willingness to contribute!!

P.s. Thanks on the logo, that was mockup number 23? Lol

Brian, I want to make minor edits to the docs. I clicked on the "edit me" button and was brought to github and signed in. I clicked the pencil to edit and it says edit the file in your fork of this project.

Do I have permission to create a fork and how do I?

Or are there any completed pages I can edit as you suggested previously? Thanks!

You can fork your own copy, by click the fork button in the top right corner. You would make changes on your fork and then submit them. https://github.com/thirtybees/docs

Alternatively, you can just copy and paste into word doc if need be and send those over to me or post correction in here or whatever you find to be the easiest for you... :)

The manual is being worked on and will take time since only one person is writing it. I'm proofreading text only and the latest formatting comes later.

If anyone wants to write any section of the manual, please contact @twistcapmedia and discuss it in case he's already written it. You'll be greatly rewarded with a feeling of immense satisfaction. :)

• 4 weeks later...