thirty bees forum

<Solved> State sales tax not correctly applied

alwayspaws

The combined rule is for charging tax on an item to customers in more than one state.

How it works is for the items that are shipped from California you will need to have a combination rule for California and your state. You have to charge sales tax for anything purchased from you by someone in your state no matter where it is shipped from because you are receiving their money. (You may want to check with your state department of revenue to verify that but that is the rule in Kentucky, Wyoming, and Arizona where we have had businesses.) I am supposing that you have to pay your supplier the sales tax for items shipped to customers in California so you need to pass that on to the buyer (YOU are not required to file California sales tax). The tax rules are attached to items and because you can only have one rule attached to an item you will need to have a combination rule to charge tax in more than one state for that item. That is probably clear as mud...

I have always had tax set for my own state, so let's leave that out of the mix.

For the few states that I needed to create tax rules for, I've already created them and will use those numbers on my csv.

AFAIK I do not need to combine tax rules because each supplier is a separate entity with its own nexus. For instance, I do not have any suppliers in my "home" state. I think that is where this went awry. :)

Update: Now that I'm working with the CSV, I see no need to create tax rules when the state taxes for what I need are already enabled.

But you need to make sure that you don't have to charge sales tax to customers in your home state even if it is shipped from somewhere else. If you do then you need a combination rule for your state and the supplier's state. If you don't then you don't need combination rules.