German support for thirty bees

• So a way to do this is to connect the shop to eBay and Amazon to be present on the German market
    But again, it would be interesting to know how they would enforce it and if it is really legal to demand this from foreign businesses

• Hello MockoB, please see one of my previous messages here…

We have to give information to the customer about different delivery time and costs in different countries. In modified-shop we have solved it the following way: we indicate each article with a “*” like this: Delivery time: 4-7 days *
    And write down in the footer the following text: * Applies to deliveries to Germany. Delivery times for other countries and information on the calculation of the delivery date see here (link to an information page with further details on delivery times, delivery periods, etc.)
    Maybe this could be solved in PS/TB by asterisks and the asterisk also in “delivery conditions”. I have not yet tested.

Correct information in case of price reductions, i think this could be already done by translations (e.g. Unser bisheriger Preis: 9,98 EUR)

There has to be a short description of the items in the shopping basket (directly before the customer finishes with “payable order”). It should be the most important features of the item, 50-100 characters are ok…
    Ideal for this would be a separate way to enter something like this in the item description in the backend, … a possibility to specify defined “essential product characteristics”, which then are displayed in the order overview at the last step before “buy button” for the customers.

On every product description should be stated the delivery time and price with tax (we have 7% and 19% here in Germany, in Austria it is almost the same).

In the checkout process the customer has to accept the “Allgemeine Geschäftsbedingungen (AGB) = Terms of service” and the “Datenschutzbestimmungen = privacy policy”. It has to be a check field with links to the “Terms of service” and the “privacy policy” (source is CMS from the backend).

• its me again, most of these is already done by the module “advancedeucompliance” , but this module works not properly with most of the Templates. It causes also an problem with the Smarty-Cache (when it is on). Hopefully TB can build on this module and so something better?!

• I hope so, the module is already in TB github page with bugs and I believe @mdekker will fix it for the next release.

• administrators

It doesn’t work with most templates, because it isn’t part of the core. Theme devs often skip anything that’s not part of the core. But the lack of documentation is to blame here i think.

I have no idea what to do with the module to be honest. It is important enough to make it a core feature, but would force theme devs to change their themes again. Another idea is to just fix it and provide some checklist for theme devs. If anyone has a good idea please let me know.

• Hi mdekker,
    thank you for the information. Maybe it is possible to integrate most of these functions in the “normal” backend, so the webmaster can choose if he will use these functions or not.
    It is not just the needs by law, some of the functions are very good and nice to have for the customer, so maybe it could be interesting in other countries too (not only DE and AT).

• administrators

Yeah, there’s a checkout selector in the admin panel. Atm it’s just one step or 5 step checkout. I think it should include the EU checkout as well.

If it’s possible to make one that’s suitable for all EU countries I think we should include it in the core.

• Global Moderator

@lesley said in German support for thirty bees:

We realize things are very different over there in regard to the ecommerce laws

I think this is mostly a misconception. Some 90% of what’s “german e-commerce law” is based more or less directly on EU legislation. For some parts, like revocation terms, EU law is applied directly. For other parts it’s done by national implementations. In short: law for all EU countries is (almost) the same.

What makes the situation in Germany so tedious is our (AFAIK, worldwide unique) Abmahnwesen. Every competitor of a website can hire a lawyer and send the owner of that website a Abmahnung (cease and desist letter) for whatever that competitor thinks is not in entire agreement with laws on that site. No police, no state attorney, no court, no judge required. So far it’s still similar to other countries.

The really bad part here is, the website owner has to compensate (pay!) for the damage the competitor thinks he has suffered. And the website owner also has to pay for the lawyer. Unless that owner disagrees and pulls the case to court.

Result of this situation is that lawyers started to search for faults on websites, then to search for competitors which could claim damages and lawyer fees. If this is done with some scripting and series cease-and-desist letters, it can be a source of pretty big income. Kind of an “industry” was born. On top of that there are competitors which try to jerk their competition, of course.

Result of these revenue seeking lawyers is that even pretty minor faults get claimed. There are court cases where it was to decide whether it’s sufficient to notify users about EU Online Dispute Resolution link or whether this link has to be clickable. Cases where website owners were found “guilty” to have their forename shortened to a single letter instead of having it written in full. Such stuff.

Tl;dr: at the bottom line, german shop owners have to comply with the about same laws as all other european shop owners, but they’re way, way, way, more keen on getting everything right to the smallest detail. Because every detail done wrong comes with a bill, with loss of cash.

• administrators

Whoa that is some extremely useful information. Thank you!

You say that sites can be scanned with automated scripts. Do you happen to know one for sites based on PrestaShop/thirty bees?

• Global Moderator

@mdekker said in German support for thirty bees:

You say that sites can be scanned with automated scripts. Do you happen to know one for sites based on PrestaShop/thirty bees?

Sorry, no, never been in that business. It’s also more a guess. If I’d try to, I’d simply google for shops selling products similar to mine. Most items can be found pretty easily if you know what has to be there: imprint, revocation terms, “including taxes, without shipping fees” next to the price, such stuff. DRMasterChief and mannefred have named a few additional ones above.

• Hi guys,
    are there any news for the “german” / European problem and has anyone worked on the details for EU compliance ?

Thank you

• Global Moderator

Advanced EU Compliance is now an official module. If one can build a compliant shop with PS 1.6, one can do it with thirty bees, too.

• @Traumflug did you try it with the community or other theme? It has incompatibility issues and as far as I know it has also with ps 1.6.1.x.

• Global Moderator

I installed it with community-theme-default and didn’t notice any incompatibilities on the first glance. Didn’t have a closer look, though.

• To be honest I tried it with thirty bees 1.0.0 and I even opened github bug report … Recently I tried it on the custom theme I bought and it doesn’t work. But the developer kindly proposed me to make it work for some cash … we didn’t negotiate the price yet because I’m on other stage of the project …

• Hello

I am another user from Germany. I run my shop via Prestashop for 5 years now. I am happy that TB supports the Advanced EU Compliance module now and may be Dekker finds a way to integrate it into TB’s core. If complicated at all ;) than it will be the tax calculations. Anyway, you find these in the module. Incompatibilities were seen between this modul and Prestashop V1.6.x concerning smarty cache. Sometimes information about delivery time was shown twice on product information. Often in our shop after a complete checkout. Anyway, all information if found on the Prestashop Forum and there has also been ticket opened. But this was never really solved :( All you could do was do exclude certain parts from smarty caching in this module via editing the module. This was done very easily via {nocache}… {/nocache}

• administrators

I don’t think it will be integrated into the core. We need to keep it modular for the time being. The reason is if the regulations change, it will be easier and quicker for shop owners to update a module then to have to update their whole shops.

• Yep, should be no problem to handle it as a module, most important is that the module works 100% and with all needs for the German / EU market.

Btw. is there any correct solution for “unit price” in TB ?

• Btw. is there any correct solution for “unit price” in TB ? I have had some problems with unit price in the categorie (unit price was not displayed in categorie, only in the item site), and also not displayed in bestsellers, special offers … this is also necessary for EU compliance module.

• When do you need the unit price shown? I can see it useful when you sell multipacks but not if you only sell single products: And is this needed for German compliance or EU, which is two very different things

Looks like your connection to thirty bees forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.