thirty bees forum

Which files need to be edited to trim down all Modules in admin?

Billy

Question

I have so many modules in my presta 1.6.1.x modules admin that it blinds me. What i want to do is trim all the modules down to basic and installed. I do not want them to show whatsoever in admin if they are gone. Trying to migrate to Thirty Bees has been fun for me. However for some people i can understand why they give up. I know it's a module stopping my migration to Thirty Bees but with no specific output to tell me which one it's pointless.

I think being able to have my modules trimmed down would help me migrate once and for all!

You see i could pay someone to migrate for me. However what does one truly learn by doing it that way? 

The problem as far as prestashop os concerned is the following: From some 20 to 30 modules at the beginning prestashop filled it's module listing with more and more modules. Helpful ones and lots of non-sense-modules as well. The module lists are coming from the /config/xml directory and there from multiple XML files. These XML are updated frequently, so stripping them only helps for a very short time. To get rid of the 290 modules you needed to make changes on multiple files in prestashop core. Search for file_put_contents in the core code.

• Thanks 1

I have 290 modules total showing of which 58 are installed. Also my version of prestashop only shipped with 77 modules total. So i believe this is where my issue comes from. 

Now when upgrading my site to the finial version of PS 1.6.1.x it fails. Also when upgrading the recommended modules by PS it fails.

So moving forward ---> Doing a migration to Thirty Bees with out upgrading my Presta to the finial version it fails.

Neither Thirty Bees 1.0.8 or Presta 1.7.5.1 have over 100 modules.

So in my mind i thought about editing the .xml files so presta would stop showing all those modules.

Also please be aware that this website was built in 2011 at Presta version 1.2.x and has been upgraded thru the years to 1.3 - 1.4 - 1.5 & 1.6

If you need anymore info i would be glad to provide it.

TIA

modules.jpg

modules2.jpg

23 minutes ago, Script-Fu said:

So moving forward ---> Doing a migration to Thirty Bees with out upgrading my Presta to the finial version it fails.

Thats the interesting part. Why is it failing? Do you get any error or so?

Never forget to do a clone and test it without risk. Its some time ago, but I once recorded a video about it: 

• Thanks 1

Yep i used your video when i first wanted to migrate one of the many clones i have.

Don't you think that it's strange that i have 2/3's more modules than whats in any releases of TB or PS? lol darn

Anyway i'm back tracking thru my posts here to try and find some of the issues i've had during migration.

To reiterate I know it's a module stopping my migration to Thirty Bees but with no specific output to tell me which one it's pointless.

Heck no we didn't install all those modules we bought a few and found a few but not 232 extra modules. xD

I would imagine all the upgrades over the years installed all those modules and didn't remove the older versions???? crazy

2 hours ago, AndyC said:

Can you not just ftp to modules and delete the ones you don't need, as long as they are uninstalled in admin 

Sure you can but are all of them really uninstalled? I wish there was a way to click a button in modules admin that would output a text file. This way a list could be posted on the forum.

15 hours ago, Scully said:

The problem as far as prestashop os concerned is the following: From some 20 to 30 modules at the beginning prestashop filled it's module listing with more and more modules. Helpful ones and lots of non-sense-modules as well. The module lists are coming from the /config/xml directory and there from multiple XML files. These XML are updated frequently, so stripping them only helps for a very short time. To get rid of the 290 modules you needed to make changes on multiple files in prestashop core. Search for file_put_contents in the core code.

Thank you @Scully sounds like a job for InfoRapid Search & Replace for windows. Do you know of any other software?

What i'm saying is just because modules admin says modules are not installed is this always 100% true & correct? Remember this site was built in 2011 with PS v1.2.x in which the devs must not of had a specific cleanup routine for the older modules from different major updates. Is it possible that say an 8 year old module from 1.3.x could still be installed even if it shows not to be in modules admin?

Ty Emanuel for your time and everyone else for that matter.

Edited by Script-Fu

Ok man sorry to keep beating a dead horse as Scully gave me the info i specifically needed. Plus at least one good idea i think came out of this thread. The text file generation of what modules are installed so you can post in a forum for help. 

2 minutes ago, AndyC said:

If I am not sure I change the name of the folder first then see if something is wrong if not then I delete , or install and un install again to make sure.. But I could be wrong in doing this

Not a bad idea Andy thanks!

I doubt everyone understood the issue from the starting point. The modules list does not only contain installed modules but more and more featured modules. Most of them are not installed. So you cannot strip down the list and assume the list will remain as you stripped it. The modules list gets updated on automated basis. You can strip down the XML files related but the keep geeting updated about every week or so. The result is what I found that just displaying the list of modules takes ages. ../classes/controller/AdminController.php is one place where module list handling is done. But it's not the only place unfortunately.

I hear ya! If i remember correct even if a module isn't installed sometimes they become stoppers. With whats going on with my store i have no output to diagnose the problem upgrading to the last Ps 1.6.1.x in order to migrate over to TB or even to just migrate straight to TB

So anyway i will just put this thread to bed and start searching for Ps export to Tb import of .csv files from built in solution.

Thanks to all

Edited by Script-Fu

47 minutes ago, Script-Fu said:

What i'm saying is just because modules admin says modules are not installed is this always 100% true & correct?

Pretty much, yes. Modules not installed get listed in the module list, but not called when displaying other pages.

Impolite code can load and call a module directly, of course. But for this to happen, this code has to be aware of the module and deal with the case of it being absent. thirty bees core code doesn't do this (if you find code doing this, it's a bug).

With this in mind, cleaning modules is a simple (and boring) procedure:

1. Make sure the module is not only disabled, but also uninstalled.
  2. Remove it from the modules directory. Easy way is to use Delete in the provided menu. Slightly safer way is to move the module folder into a different directory (e.g. modules.off).

14 minutes ago, Script-Fu said:

If i remember correct even if a module isn't installed sometimes they become stoppers.

This can happen, yes. Some back office pages also list uninstalled modules, so they obviously have to load the main code file of uninstalled modules as well. If this main code file of a module is broken enough to interrupt PHP, this back office page doesn't load.

All this doesn't apply to your situation, though. You can list these modules already, so all the module main code files load fine. Removing some of them can't make the situation worse.

@Script-Fu: Read what I have written. Don't just ask the same again and again. Everyone note that Script-Fu talks and show screenshots from Prestashop, NOT from Thirtybees. The modules list is a merge from multiple XML files in /config/xml. So deleting folders does nothing at all in relation to the "all modules" list.

Edited by Scully