thirty bees forum

PHP encryption, stopped receiving emails via 365

t4Chippy

Question

Hi Guys, I have a webshop running thirtybees 1.0.7 and around a month ago i stopped receiving "contact us" emails from my site. 

My email account is with microsoft office 365, and is the same domain as my site. My email was configured with "Use PHP's mail() function". This has been working fine since Christmas when the site went live, but as said, just stopped working on the 4th of May. 

I tried switching the customer services email to a gmail account and it comes through just fine, switch back to my domain email with 365 and it stops again. I contacted microsoft and they said to switch it over to SMTP but that refuses to even connect. 

I've read a few bits on bobs online that prestashop used to have a conflict with office 365 and something to do with presta not being STARTTLS compatable, and something to do with the swiftmailer? could this possibly be the issue with thirtybees too?

I'm not the most technically gifted individual but i can get a grasp of things and do have a friend who can can fill in the gaps in my knowledge so i thought I'd reach out to you guys and see if we can get this thing going again with your help.

Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, dynambee said:

Try running the test script on your server again to see if it can connect to the MS SMTP server or if it still gives the same error. If the test script works then you have a TB config problem. If the test script doesn't work then you are still blacklisted.

HI Ian, error is still coming up the same 😞 

3 hours ago, Brent Dacus said:

on the cpanel server can we check this... might be worth a shot.

In WHM, search for "cPanel Web Services Configuration" located under "Service Configuration".

cPanel Web Services Configuration

Mine is SSLv23:!SSLv2:!SSLv3:!TLSv1:!TLSv1_2

default is SSLv23:!SSLv2:!SSLv3

You'll want to add :!TLSv1_2 at the end of the protocol string. This forces it to use newer version.

Ideally you'll want to test this on a development server 1st, as it may break your SSL/payment processing if the server is not up to date and cannot use the newer version. There is fallbacks, but it's always best to test 1st!

While you are here as well, you can harden your ciphers. Great tutorial on this can be found here:https://hynek.me/articles/hardening-your-web-servers-ssl-ciphers/

cPanel Official Documentation:https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/CKB/How+to+Adjust+Cipher+Protocols

Hi Brent, We've added the above and it's not made any difference 😞

Switched back to PHP and it works fine still?

38 minutes ago, t4Chippy said:

HI Ian, error is still coming up the same 😞 

You could save yourself a lot of time by getting a new IP for your webserver.

Before doing this edit your DNS to change the domain record TTL settings from their current 14400 (4 hours) to 300 (5 minutes). I would advise doing this 24 hours before you swap the IP but you could wait as little as 4 hours. Then swap the IP, and after a few hours increase the DNS TTL to 3600 (1 hour).

Make sure all your DNS settings for email (SPF and DKIM in particular) are correct.

This should solve your problem without having to deal with all the blacklist issues you face now.

9 hours ago, dynambee said:

You could save yourself a lot of time by getting a new IP for your webserver.

Before doing this edit your DNS to change the domain record TTL settings from their current 14400 (4 hours) to 300 (5 minutes). I would advise doing this 24 hours before you swap the IP but you could wait as little as 4 hours. Then swap the IP, and after a few hours increase the DNS TTL to 3600 (1 hour).

Make sure all your DNS settings for email (SPF and DKIM in particular) are correct.

This should solve your problem without having to deal with all the blacklist issues you face now.

Hi Ian, I've found out the reason why the server was blacklisted in the first place so I thought I'd try and stem that flow first, then if it gets listed again after I'll only have to change it once 🙂

I have two older sites on the same server that seem to be trying to resend emails so we've commented out registrations and contact us, it's sites I will be redoing on TB and just havn't got round to it. 

Looks like i stopped receiving bounced emails into spam about the right time, then I've now started getting them again (after the server was unlisted)  

just had a few bounced emails this morning but they are on the list, only a few more it will re-try and hopefully they'll now dry up 🙂

Edited by t4Chippy

If the current IP gets re-blacklisted then a new IP will get blacklisted as well.

The key thing is to fix the problems that caused the blacklisting the first time -- using PHP Mailer and not having the mail DNS SPF & DKIM records set up correctly. Once those issues are fixed it doesn't really matter if you get a new IP or go through the effort of getting the current IP unlisted. The only real difference is the amount of time & effort involved and as you have experienced getting unlisted is a PITA.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Factor said:

Hey Mate I hope you sorted this?

Hey Brent, I've been meaning to update this so thanks for the bump 🙂

So, I managed to stem the flow of spam on all the sites so that's a good thing. Server IP is 100% unblocked from Microsoft and not showing up on any of the banned lists on the links on this thread so that's great news!

BUT, for some reason it still doesn't work on SMTP and throws an error on the contact us page, But, works just fine on PHP?

My friend is on holiday for a bit so not had chance to request an IP change with the host or run Ian's script unfortunately. 

While I'm here though can I just thank yourself and Ian for all your work and help with this, I really do appreciate it 🙂

I think there is a known issue on the contact us page sometimes.  What happens if you set up smtp and use the send test email below on same page.   Also do you get the email in the BO to respond to?

Help is my middle name...  I am sure I speak for Ian as well.  Even if he is asleep in Japan currently... @dynambee

8 minutes ago, Factor said:

I think there is a known issue on the contact us page sometimes.  What happens if you set up smtp and use the send test email below on same page.   Also do you get the email in the BO to respond to?

Help is my middle name...  I am sure I speak for Ian as well.  Even if he is asleep in Japan currently... @dynambee

image.thumb.png.0243b0ff76a25fbf1fcbc49caf5118a9.png

Thats what i get when using the test email, and no, because i get the error the person can't submit the question in the first place 🙂

9 minutes ago, Factor said:

ok sent you a contact 

so you can respond from the back office.

Okay, so i replied via email, Doh!

How do i reply using the back office, i see the email but no reply button?

Edited by t4Chippy

40 minutes ago, Factor said:

image.png.a3109409c9eadeaeeb2b30baae5b5b4c.png

should be in there

or here 

image.thumb.png.045cfc82438f31f4bf2afd0afd5861c7.png

Click on view to the right or double click brings it up.

image.thumb.png.d1b9cab85b9d8999043d909baf7f8ce9.png

Ah, no, deffo not there, only messages there are ones the customer has added when they've ordered 🙂

I can see the email in Advanced perimeters > Email though 

it means PHP IMAP is not installed on your server

in cPanel WHM it will look something like this

294952014_ScreenShot2019-06-19at16_08_11.png.8e648a7c42e83d3382691a3bacb28a4d.png

Easy apache >php extensions search IMAP.  Your server mate can check it out.  it just needs to match whatever version of PHP you have installed 7.0, 7.1 or 7.2

Just now, Factor said:

it means PHP IMAP is not installed on your server

in cPanel WHM it will look something like this

294952014_ScreenShot2019-06-19at16_08_11.png.8e648a7c42e83d3382691a3bacb28a4d.png

Easy apache >php extensions search IMAP.  Your server mate can check it out.  it just needs to match whatever version of PHP you have installed 7.0, 7.1 or 7.2

ah okay, so nothing to do with the problems I'm having, I always reply with outlook anyway 🙂