Some ideas for improvement
I just installed the blog module and it looks solid Still I want to share improvements ideas:
- Preview a post for author. This is very helpful when you are creating a post, but don’t want it to publish yet.
- Author widget. Instead of just showing blank name, it would be nice to have an avatar & little description.
- Translation option. You offer a field “available for these languages”. That’s a very nice feature, but I would disable it, if user has only one languaged installed. I would also consider, to preselect default language.
- Link blog with ecommerce. I think in the longer run, the blog should be linked deeper with the ecommerce system. It’ should be easy, to insert links to a product. Also reversed: to insert blog posts on categories or products pages.
- Shortcodes. This is related with the previous point. It would be amazing to have a shortcode system, which devs/designer could use. Imagine of something like this: [small_list id_category=12 products=5]
How do you like about my ideas? Feel free to add your own in this thread!
i agree with all. Especially the ‘link with e-commerce’ feature. I sell educational board games and write about how to use board games in schools. I would indeed like to have the possibility to link the game i write about to the article
Your ideas are terrific @wakabayashi
Some nice ideas!
Preview used to be a feature, but we removed that last-minute. The permission to preview an item was linked to the customer email. (If customer email = admin email, show). But as you can guess, what if someone just creates and account with an email that happens to be an employee? Yah, that’s a prob! So we have now begun testing on reading the back office cookie and check the employee’s status instead and use that for previewing.
Author widget is nice. We want to use Gravatar for it. No idea actually why it didn’t land in the first version. I think we forgot.
Yeah, language field should definitely be disabled for one language and have some defaults.
Yes, linking to products/categories should go both ways.
Shortcodes are awesome, but I don’t think the core is ready for it, yet. We’ll likely combine it with a widget system in the future.
The following usability would be interesting:
- Integration with social media, mainly facebook, instagran and google +
- Comments coming from facebook or instagran
- Add related products
- SEO Improvement (Meta Title, Meta Tag)
- Short description to be visible on the homepage
- small blocks and squares instead of list, force images into thumbnails (improve design)
@wakabayashi I had introduced @mdekker to http://oembed.com/ and I think he has to study it further. If you’re familiar with it, you just have to have a link on a single line to display a nice block about the source link on the page.