thirty bees forum

Webservice (API) 403 Error

dynambee

Question

After a particularly terrible experience with Cloudways support I'm trying to migrate away from Cloudways and towards a self-managed VULTR server running Centos7 + Centos Web Panel (CWP). (It took Cloudways support 18 hours to resolve an SSH key issue that they somehow created. I couldn't access the server with public/private keys during this time. I have no idea how long it would take them to fix an actually serious problem and I do not wish to find out...)

After some initial struggles things are now working quite well and I am learning how to get things done within CWP. I can get sites installed and running quite easily now and am overall very happy with the way CWP works.

I do however have one problem, and that is the webservice (aka api) is not operating properly. I can send GET requests and get data from the webservice. These show up in the apache logs with status code 200 and the data is displayed correctly.

However when I try to use a PUT request to make changes to server data it fails with a 403 Forbidden error. This same code works just fine on cloudways and has worked with other hosts so I think there is some sort of permissions error going on. For the life of me I cannot figure this out.

I have spent a lot of time over the past couple of days banging my head against the wall which has been great for learning but I'm out of ideas. There are a lot of suggestions on Stack Exchange about how to rectify common 403 errors with Apache but none have worked for me. I have been very careful about not making any permanent changes and always undoing any changes I make along the way.

A few of the things I have tried:

* Making sure perms for all folders are set to 755 and for files to 644. These are the recommended perms by CWP.

* Making sure perms for all folders are set to 775 and for files to 664. These more permissive perms are what Cloudways uses.

* Adding "Options FollowSymLinks" to the .htaccess file (this changed the error code from 403 to 500 and made the entire website inaccessible) 

* Adding "Options +FollowSymLinks" to the .htaccess file (this changed the error code from 403 to 500 and made the entire website inaccessible) 

* Making sure mod_security is OFF for the domain I am working with (can be turned on and off on a per-domain basis with CWP)

* A LOT of time trying to interpret the config files for Apache which are really above my ability to understand. Despite doing a LOT of reading about these files in the end I didn't feel comfortable monkeying with them lest I make things much worse.

Some info on the server:

CentOS 7 with all updates
CWP 0.9.8.836
Apache 2.4.39
Nginx 1.16.0
PHP-FPM v7.1.30
MariaDB 10.1.40
VULTR's standard firewall is disabled, the firewall included with CWP is enabled (CSF + LFD)

Varnish is also installed but is disabled for this domain. So this domain is running using a similar set of services to what Cloudways uses, Nginx -> Apache -> PHP-FPM.

This overall server setup was created by CWP. In other words, I didn't personally install and configure each service, the server is an automated install using CWP that configures things in a standard way.

So, does anyone have any ideas on what I need to change to make this work?

Edited by dynambee
Info about why I wish to change hosts

After some more monkeying around I have worked out what seems to be the best way to do this.

This is probably super obvious for anyone with more Apache configuration experience than I have (which is almost none) but the best solution is to add a vhost configuration file for the domain in question. With CWP these files are stored here:

/usr/local/apache/conf/userdata/[username]/[domain]

So if your username is 'myaccount' and the domain is 'example.com' it would look like this:

/usr/local/apache/conf/userdata/myaccount/example.com

You can call the file whatever you want as long as the extension is .conf. So let's call it thirtybees.conf:

/usr/local/apache/conf/userdata/myaccount/example.com/thirtybees.conf

The contents of the file:

<Directory "/home/[username]/public_html">
	Order allow,deny
	Allow from all
	Require all granted
</Directory>

Obviously replace [username] with your account's username.

After the file is saved in the right place then restart Apache. The webservice (api) will now work.