Important change to the PayPal module

• administrators

We have discovered a high rate of declined transactions on a production server. Reason being that the total amount of the items in a transactions didn’t match the subtotal. To solve this problem we have removed the item list that is sent to PayPal before initiating the payment. More info here: https://github.com/thirtybees/paypal/releases/tag/5.1.0

Please upgrade the PayPal module as soon as possible. You can use this topic for feedback, questions, etc.

• @mdekker I upgraded and when I tested it the login button opened the popup normally the user name and password was sent and then I got a 404 error on this page: https:…/index.php?fc=module&module=paypal&controller=logintoken?authentication&code=C21AAFla9ukhsR8FDl2jUYA7t_9fdh_L328idWyO8MhnAq4wcjaKjuIG_FWVMymCsuRtuQSDJITUeVhx1YAPni8o6CFTQyZdA&scope=phone%20address%20email%20https%3A%2F%2Furi.paypal.com%2Fservices%2Fexpresscheckout%20openid%20https%3A%2F%2Furi.paypal.com%2Fservices%2Fpaypalattributes%20profile

I tried it again with debug on and no error was shown jus tthe 404 page.

Help…please :)

• So with this update no item list is sent to PayPal at all? If a customer logs in to their PayPal account to check what the charge on their credit card statement is for, nothing shows up except the total amount? That seems likely to result in more chargebacks and disputed PayPal payments when customers don’t recognize the charge. :(

• administrators

@jnsgioia said in Important change to the PayPal module:

@mdekker I upgraded and when I tested it the login button opened the popup normally the user name and password was sent and then I got a 404 error on this page: https:…/index.php?fc=module&module=paypal&controller=logintoken?authentication&code=C21AAFla9ukhsR8FDl2jUYA7t_9fdh_L328idWyO8MhnAq4wcjaKjuIG_FWVMymCsuRtuQSDJITUeVhx1YAPni8o6CFTQyZdA&scope=phone%20address%20email%20https%3A%2F%2Furi.paypal.com%2Fservices%2Fexpresscheckout%20openid%20https%3A%2F%2Furi.paypal.com%2Fservices%2Fpaypalattributes%20profile

I tried it again with debug on and no error was shown jus tthe 404 page.

Help…please :)

That URL seems to be correct. See if there’s anything in .htaccess that’s blocking it. Might also have to save the meta on the page “Preferences > SEO & URLs” couple times.

• administrators

@dynambee said in Important change to the PayPal module:

So with this update no item list is sent to PayPal at all? If a customer logs in to their PayPal account to check what the charge on their credit card statement is for, nothing shows up except the total amount? That seems likely to result in more chargebacks and disputed PayPal payments when customers don’t recognize the charge. :(

Yes, it’s harder to recognize the order now. Still, the best way is to use paypal@yourdomain.com and not that weird Gmail account you once used for the first signup (just an example).

• administrators

There we go. Just received a way to make it sync with thirty bees’ way of calculating discounts.

Use 5.1.0 in the following cases:

• You apply cart rules and/or catalog price rules
    • You have tax exempt customer groups

Use 5.0.1:

• If you do not use discounts
    • If you do not have tax exempt customer groups

We are going to restore the item list with 5.2.0, so both groups can safely upgrade to this version.

• First, thank you for all the work you do on these modules and the cart itself. I totally understand it can be hard to make a quick decision about something like this and clearly avoiding declined payments has to take priority over an item list.

We do use paypal@companyname.com but companyname.com is not the store’s domain. With multiple stores we also can’t have paypal@storename.com.

Maybe send an item list if the store doesn’t do discounting, or allow stores to enable/disable the item list with the default being disabled?

Also, I think PayPal has a field for sending a note together with an itemized invoice list. Any chance of allowing this note to be set in the back office? I’d like to be able to include the store’s domain there along with customer service contact details.

• administrators

Just stick to the version you need. That’ll be the best solution for now.

Also, I think PayPal has a field for sending a note together with an itemized invoice list.

Yes, the note_to_payer field is available for this and it doesn’t depend on the item list.

• Thanks!

• @mdekker I will check those. To further complicate things, I placed an order using paypal and the order was processed as expected (I was notified of the order and paid for it, the emails were sent to the buyer) but at completion the buyer was returned from paypal to the login page, not the order completion page. Do I need to have a second return url set in paypal and if so would it be: index.php?fc=module&module=paypal&controller=ordercompletion?order-completion? If that is not the problem where do I go to fix it? Thank you for all your help.

• administrators

@mdekker I will check those. To further complicate things, I placed an order using paypal and the order was processed as expected (I was notified of the order and paid for it, the emails were sent to the buyer) but at completion the buyer was returned from paypal to the login page, not the order completion page. Do I need to have a second return url set in paypal and if so would it be: index.php?fc=module&module=paypal&controller=ordercompletion?order-completion? If that is not the problem where do I go to fix it? Thank you for all your help.

I’ve seen it before. Happened when the permissions were incorrect. Try to set at least these permissions:
    0_1495766791000_thesepermissions.png

• @mdekker I have all of those permissions checked as well as personal information and address information.

Also I noticed when I was on the page in checkout with the form to input the PayPal email and password the store logo image was replaced with a question mark, similar to the one on the front office favicon.

• administrators

That’s a server misconfiguration. The store logo is the only image on the store that is always available (even when in maintenance mode).

• Does this only affect the sandbox mode or also the live mode?

• administrators

Please open a new topic and share all the info you can: .htaccess, which admin panel, store URL, etc. I don’t think we can otherwise see what’s going on.

• @mdekker So how can I fix that?

• administrators

@Havouza said in Important change to the PayPal module:

Does this only affect the sandbox mode or also the live mode?

What affects what? :P

• administrators

@mdekker So how can I fix that?

Share your info. We will have to do some deep inspection I think.

• @mdekker The return to wrong page

• @mdekker This is the info from the configuration page.

0_1495770959137_upload-11867e50-ecb0-4092-bc40-1a6a1b84c954

Do you need something else?

Looks like your connection to thirty bees forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.