Welcome, Guest!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

datakick

Geolocation overhaul - Testers needed

I agree, reading helps, hence the end of my sentence: Would be great to be able to customize this within the module configuration since there are "restricted-country.tpl" files in 2 different places.

Thanks for the tip about restricted-country.tpl though.

Now, I have tested my shop using Windows 10: Firefox and MS Edge are working fine with the restrictions in place.

How about Safari then?

57 minutes ago, ThierryC01 said:

It should in no way display Overloaded!!

Google (and others) is using many data centers across the globe to crawl and index your site.

Guess what will happen when google access your site from a restricted country, and your server responds with standard success http page? It would index this 'This page is restricted' content instead of the real content, and that would hurt your seo efforts greatly.

That's one of the reasons why tb responds with 503 error page -- to clearly indicate to all crawlers that the content they are seeing is some sort of exception, not to be cached or indexed. 

Anyway, I don't understand the need for geo-restriction at all. If you don't want to ship to some countries then solve this at carriers / zones level. But to completely block access from these countries is overkill

4 minutes ago, ThierryC01 said:

How about Safari then?

For performance reasons the geolocation result (country code) is stored inside cookie. If you visited your site using the Safari before you turn on the VPN, it's likely the cookie contains your real country

I did make sure to clear the cookies and the cache every time I switched countries as I had this issue too with the other web browsers. Only Safari bypasses the restrictions.

Geo restriction is legally required especially for countries under international embargos/restrictions depending on local laws (I am in the US). It sometimes is also best to block the shop altogether rather than allowing a customer to fill a cart and being frustrated at a restricted checkout, social medias are nowadays killers!!

Talking about testing the module itself, even with "Geolocation behavior for other countries" set to "visitors cannot see your catalog", I could actually see the catalog and proceed to an order when connected to an authorizes country. This is a feedback.

I will see what I can do with the carriers / zones but I am not convinced by this solution.

Posted (edited)

What are the results of this testing? Where they made public anywhere? Regarding geolocation restriction, it is actually useless as everybody can use a VPN service. There are plenty of both free and paid tools. Do you agree? I believe that even schoolchildren know how to use them today. I am from https://areaphonecodes.com/united-states/503 and i see it around.

Edited by hojoos

On 5/11/2020 at 10:21 PM, hojoos said:

What are the results of this testing? Where they made public anywhere? Regarding geolocation restriction, it is actually useless as everybody can use a VPN service. There are plenty of both free and paid tools. Do you agree? I believe that even schoolchildren know how to use them today. I am from https://areaphonecodes.com/united-states/503 and i see it around.

Yes geolocation isn't too precise and therefore has it's uses, but shouldn't be used for everything, it's not even legal to use it for certain things. It's all written in the maxminds usage and terms of service texts, just read. But it's not absolutely useless as you say, there are good use-cases and if people use VPN or proxy servers, they hopefully are aware of that (they would be the ones who "suffer")! As you see, most use cases have a positive impact on the user experience and are not necessary, but nice to have. If users then use VPN or proxies, they just do not get the full experience, their fault and no problem for us 😉

Edited by oliiix

Quick question: Would anyone have an idea on how to access the geolocation country? I was able to convert the database to the old format and my TB accepted it. Now how can I access the geolocation country from a tpl file? I tried using {$geolocation_country} as this is being set in the front controllers geolocation management function, but it doesn't output anything. Geolocation is of course activated in the backend. I just try to output {$geolocation_country} at the top of the product.tpl somewhere just to see if it's working. Should i create a module first that gets hooked to the product page and saves the geolocation country to the config first so i can read it from the tpl file, or does such a variable already exist? I need country name or code, just some identifier.

First of all - you should update to bleeding edge, and install maxmindgeoip2 module that can handle new version of database. 

But back to your question - smarty variable geolocation_country is available only in restricted mode -- when tb blocked access to the store based on ip location. If user is not blocked, this variable is not populated. So you can't access it in any way.

For testing purposes you can simply modify the frontcontrolelr and always populate the geolocation_country smarty variable. 

• Thanks 2