thirty bees forum

(SOLVED) 1.2 Emails not getting sent

mwrouse

Question

Setup:

• ThirtyBees 1.2
  • PHP 7.4
  • MySQL

I just installed ThirtyBees two days ago and I am working on getting my store setup.

Of course, I want to receive email notifications when a customer places an order, comments on an order, or sends an email to customer service.

Right now none of that is working.

I have IMAP settings in the Customer Service tab, and it pulls messages fine from that. But when I reply the customer is not sent an email.

Similarly, I'm not receiving any emails when things happen.

All the emails show up in the Advanced Parameters > E-mail tab.

In that tab, I have tried the "Test your Email Configuration" section but NEVER receive an email.

I have tried using the PHP mail() function, doesn't work. But when I create a standard php page somewhere else on my server and go to it, the mail function works fine there.
I have tried SMTP and that doesn't work either, but my SMTP settings are working and tested with the SMTP test website.

I have enabled debug mode but don't see any error logs. And all I get are success notifications when I try to send a message (test or to the customer), never any error messages. There is also nothing in the error_log file.

I've read this thread and this issue on GitHub, neither are my issue and they are on older versions (and I NEVER get any error messages).

I guess I'm coming to my limit being able to do stuff in the UI, and not too familiar with the back-end.

Installed using Softalicious on a CPanel server.

I have all the appropriate PHP modules according to the README on the repo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If someone thinks this would be better suited as a GitHub Issue then I will gladly put it there instead.

Edited by mwrouse

4 answers to this question

32 minutes ago, mwrouse said:

I have tried using the PHP mail() function, doesn't work. But when I create a standard php page somewhere else on my server and go to it, the mail function works fine there.
I have tried SMTP and that doesn't work either, but my SMTP settings are working and tested with the SMTP test website.

I had to use phpmailer, as my server forbids me to use mail(). But you said you can use it from another script.

It looks like thirty bees successfully relayed the email to the email delivery software, since there is log entry about this.

If the email is not delivered, it can be for various reasons, none of them are tb related 🙂 This often happen when are trying to send email from address that does not allow your server to act as an origin. Other servers will put that email to spambox, or simply drop it. 

Check your Shop email address in Preferences > Store Contacts, and ensure your server has rights to send email on behalf of that address.

Since you already have testing php application for sending emails, you can test it there -- edit it, and use Shop Email address as a 'from' address, and see if the email is delivered.

If it is not delivered, then investigate SPF and DKIM associated with domain of this from address.

5 hours ago, datakick said:

It looks like thirty bees successfully relayed the email to the email delivery software, since there is log entry about this.

If the email is not delivered, it can be for various reasons, none of them are tb related 🙂 This often happen when are trying to send email from address that does not allow your server to act as an origin. Other servers will put that email to spambox, or simply drop it. 

Check your Shop email address in Preferences > Store Contacts, and ensure your server has rights to send email on behalf of that address.

Since you already have testing php application for sending emails, you can test it there -- edit it, and use Shop Email address as a 'from' address, and see if the email is delivered.

If it is not delivered, then investigate SPF and DKIM associated with domain of this from address.

THANK YOU!

Changing the email in Preferences > Store Contacts solved the problem.

I had it as my outlook.com email as that's where I wanted to receive emails at, but changing it to my custom domain worked like a charm.