Welcome, Guest!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

luksl

Release date of the new version (1.3) and road map

On 7/3/2021 at 11:15 PM, Traumflug said:

The mechanism goes like this:

1. Recognize a bug.
  2. Approach a developer and say "There is this this bug, here are the steps to reproduce it (1. ..., 2. ..., 3. ..., 4. ..., ...). Please fix it, offer the result as a pull request on Github and send the invoice to me."
  3. Pay the invoice and enjoy.

Pretty simple and effective.

In my opinion, the basic thinking is right, but maybe not great explained with talking about to fix a bug.

If there is a bug in the software, it should proper be explained so that it can be fixed by the "owner" oft the software or someone else. This should not be connected to the term of being paid by the one how discovered the bug. However, nobody can expect the bug to be fixed within a certain time and might life with the possibility of it being not fixed at all.

The overall problem is that for most people open source is equal to free of cost.

On 5/25/2021 at 6:32 PM, luksl said:

When the next (major) version (1.3) of TB will be released? Is there any road map?

What it will contain / change. For example, whether there will be a new theme? Will it use the newest Bootstrap 5 etc.?

I have noticed it will drop support of PHP 5.6, I think it could drop support of PHP 7.0 too. No one should use such an old version of PHP in production environments. Actually, it would make sense the v1.3 of TB would support PHP 7.3 and up in order to evolve faster. For those who need to use older versions of PHP there could be (just) security maintained v1.2.x.

We expect in 2-4 weeks from now. Sorry it sounds wired but I could not find the php issue for the 1.3 sprint in Jira 😉 But if I am correct 1.3.0 will support 7.4.... Don't nail me down if I am wrong 😉

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Smile said:

We expect in 2-4 weeks from now. Sorry it sounds wired but I could not find the php issue for the 1.3 sprint in Jira 😉 But if I am correct 1.3.0 will support 7.4.... Don't nail me down if I am wrong 😉

Regarding PHP compatibility: 1.3.0 will still be supported on PHP5.6 ... PHP7.4

There is an ongoing effort to make it work on PHP8. This is not a small feat because PHP8 introduced standard class 'Attribute' that clashes with thirty bees core class. To fix it we need to rename our class, respective move it to different namespace (in core and all native modules). While this is quite simple to do, it of course introduces compatibility issues with any third party modules. To overcome this issue, thirty bees will contain mechanism that will parse and 'patch' third party modules PHP files. When you install new module, it's php files will be processed anda all references to Attribute class will be adjusted. For this we will use third party library. Unfortunately that lib does not support PHP5.6, which is one of the reasons why we are deprecating PHP5.6 and will not support it in the future.

At this moment there is still no need to actually remove support for PHP5.6, but once we integrate the support for PHP8 to mainline, we will be forced to do it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1