thirty bees forum

How can a brand-new website get back links?

alwayspaws

Ok, the easiest way to build back links if you have an address that can be published is to build what are called local citations. The best search engine for finding local citations I have found is whitespark.ca. Basically you go there and search with your area and your business type and it gives you links to local businesses that have citation type sites where you can create profiles. Think of sites like citysearch, yelp, mechantscircle, ect. Whitespark is a search engine that finds sites like that so you can create profiles for your company. Those are the absolute safest types of links to create.

@alwayspaws If you've got a physical store then promote the hell out of the 'pick up at store' option. It saves you & them the hassle of shipping fees / delivery issues / packing costs / returns costs and most importantly distance selling regulations. If they can buy from your local store it saves you a massive headache in potential issues as those distance regulations can be a nightmare!

I'd also recommend trying to find a Google local guides person, them people who wander round taking pictures and writing reviews of places from the local Tesco to a petrol station. They're out to earn badges and will review anything to get them closer to the next rank. It's also good publicity for you.

@DavidP I don't have a physical store or I'd do that. What the conversation meant was if I had a "real" address I can do what @lesley said: "finding local citations with whitespark.ca."

I have limited myself to only selling in the contiguous US, because I know the nightmares. Been there, done that. Not doing it again. This was on a previous website.

I'm open for more suggestions!

@lesley said in How can a brand-new website get back links?:

Ok, the easiest way to build back links if you have an address that can be published is to build what are called local citations. The best search engine for finding local citations I have found is whitespark.ca. Basically you go there and search with your area and your business type and it gives you links to local businesses that have citation type sites where you can create profiles. Think of sites like citysearch, yelp, mechantscircle, ect. Whitespark is a search engine that finds sites like that so you can create profiles for your company. Those are the absolute safest types of links to create.

Sorry to repeat quote but I want it together. I'm waiting for Google's postcard so I can verify my site with them. Then I can try to build relationships / create profiles.

My question now is: Is this old-timey stuff or do I create a "partners", "friends" or some other name for a page and keep all new links on one page?

Or where would I put backlinks when I get them?

• 3 weeks later...

@lesley said in How can a brand-new website get back links?:

Ok, the easiest way to build back links if you have an address that can be published is to build what are called local citations. The best search engine for finding local citations I have found is whitespark.ca.

@lesley Can you please clarify for me which is a Google Business Page, a personal page and which to sell from? Thank you!

A google business page is the listing on google for your business. Go here to create one, https://www.google.com/business/ I am not familiar with a personal page. Just create a google business listing if you can publish your address, it helps with SEO.

@lesley I think there is some confusion on my part. I only have an online store and if the only way to get links is to have a GMB page with my address on it, I think it's better for me to remove it and just get links. I know a couple of online businesses I may be able to exchange links with.

I looked at this article and I don't need a map. I'd like to keep the GMB listing but not show my address.

Google+ VS Google Business & Map https://www.mediapillars.com/2017/03/10/google-vs-google-business-map/

I think you might need to read some articles on SEO. Moz has some pretty good articles. Link exchanges do not work any more, you will get penalized for doing them in some cases.

GMB only really works if you have a physical location and show your address. The option to hide the map hides the listing.

@lesley I don't have a physical store, so should I delete the GMB? I've been reading a slew of articles and I don't mean a link exchange software or site just for link exchanges. "Backlinks are still very important according to Brian Dean: "If you want more search engine traffic, link building is a must." http://backlinko.com/link-building and he explains a lot.

@alwayspaws you only need the GMB if you've a physical location you serve from OR you provide service in an area whereby you go visit your customers. Neither of these is true so in your case it's not needed.

A good way to get links is to be active on a forum as a support user & advertiser, don't hide behind an alter ego as you'll get found out. Another way is to write fantastic blogs and share them around to try get links that way. If it's a good blog then it'll get the links. One good article can get you a lot of continuous traffic.

If you are interested in the "blog thing". You should google about "Content Marketing". I believe a lot in it. If you are been able to write reasonable content, you can also start to ask for blog post. This is a secure way to get backlinks. But of course you have to invest a lot of time ;)

How about using facebook or twitter? I think there have been modules for prestashop granting a discount if people share a product on twitter or facebook. Maybe these can be used with 30bz too? If this would be an option for you this could give you some backlinks in the social web. As far as I know presence in the social web is important for google too.

Marci, your cat is adorable! Thank you for the advice. I use FB and Twitter and have a nice following. I'm not sure about asking for backlinks from them, but I will anyway, pretty soon. I've been friends with some of them for a long time. I also use Instagram and Pinterest, etc., but need to make time to add more images. I have the social sharing icons on my site. Believe me, I'm present one way or another. I'm fine tuning some of the site now. Wish I could put my dog to work at more than just looking pretty! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone of you use forums to set links? I noticed that in my niche it's quite easy to set links there. They aren't marked as "nofollow". When I watch out for relevant blogs (comments), its always "nofollow".

Are forum links valuable? Is there any difference between link in the post itself or if it's in the signature?

@wakabayashi said in How can a brand-new website get back links?:

Does anyone of you use forums to set links? I noticed that in my niche it's quite easy to set links there. They aren't marked as "nofollow". When I watch out for relevant blogs (comments), its always "nofollow".

Are forum links valuable? Is there any difference between link in the post itself or if it's in the signature?

I haven't, but I don't understand "nofollow". I'd like to know more about this, too.