Let's talk about Keyword Research!

• I just read that “you don’t have to run an active campaign to use the Google Keyword Planner, but you’ll need to fully set up an Adwords account”.

Does anyone here use the Google Keyword Planner who does not run Google adword campaigns?

Reference: http://backlinko.com/keyword-research which I got from this article from my subscription to Website Magazine:

https://www.websitemagazine.com/channels/mastering-search

Thanks!

• You need to have a big budget spend if you want anything meaningful out of the keyword planner other than ranges like 100 to 1k, I manage an account with a spend of about £90 a month, which I know is tiny but it’s only showing ranges of values.

TBH you’re better off using the daily free goes on SemRush against your closest 10 competitors. If you use the ‘checking 5 only’ then you pretty much get indefinite goes. I spend 15mins a day just checking SemRush. Also as you can pay monthly on it you can pay for a 1 month sub just to hit a ton of competitor sites and get their main 100 keywords.

I’d also suggest getting Screaming Frog (about £150 a year), I know it’s old school but it’s good for getting some nice content from competitors. The free version only does 500 links so can only be used against small competitor sites.

The other tool I use is www.answerthepublic.com. Just bung in a keyword then it’ll give you tons of longtail searches, click them to do a Google search and see what comes up. It’s handy for finding peoples sites you want to have content for on yours and lets you see how they do it - again use screaming frog them sites.

I know my methods are probably low down the list compared to the tools available but the free options are nice and it’s quick and simple :)

• No budget so everything must be free until I get off the ground. (I’m really underground, but let’s not talk about that. lol) I looked at all three and saved the links to these tools. Thank you very much @DavidP

• @alwayspaws well given the lack of budget (I know how you feel lol, my marketing budget is pretty much my wages!) I’d also recommend the Twitter tool hashtagify.me because with no backlinks for a new website you need to get seen still and I find that very handy for getting my products seen by other companies. I know it’s off topic but it’s damn handy getting your new product seen instantly by new people :)

In case you don’t know it, it’s a keyword research tool for Twitter to give you an idea of what people are looking for / posting. Whilst I personally don’t find it that good in the B2C it’s very good for B2B. I’d suggest using that in conjunction with HootSuite to monitor your main Twitter keywords. Again both tools have free limited use.

• It is not off topic in my book! I love Twitter. Thanks again for this! I stayed away from hootsuite bc I don’t think they have a free version any more, but will check it out again. We’ll be successful now that we’re at #thirtybees

• @DavidP I checked out hashtagify.me and am in love! lol. I wasn’t aware of this and I’m on Twitter a lot.

• @DavidP thank you for your suggestions. Very informative.

• @DavidP said in Let's talk about Keyword Research!:

@alwayspaws I’d also recommend the Twitter tool hashtagify.me because with no backlinks for a new website you need to get seen still and I find that very handy for getting my products seen by other companies.

In case you don’t know it, it’s a keyword research tool for Twitter to give you an idea of what people are looking for / posting. Whilst I personally don’t find it that good in the B2C it’s very good for B2B. I’d suggest using that in conjunction with HootSuite to monitor your main Twitter keywords. Again both tools have free limited use.

I signed up for the free hootsuite app and don’t need more than that right now, anyway. I only have one account each of the social apps.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, David

Looks like your connection to thirty bees forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.