Robots.txt generator set for optimal seo benefits?

• Hi

I had some struggle with the generated robots.txt and Google’s own testing tool for Google access vs robots.txt allows/dissalows restrictions.

Anyway there are two lines that make me wonder:

• User-agent: *

• Disallow: /*

The first line I thought would allow access of all bots that could be seo-wise nice :)
    The last I thought would be a general disallow. But since this line is at the end I thought that would be fine since bots are allowed at the top already.

In summary Google was not allowed to crawl my site optimal with these settings. I had to comment # Disallow: /* and to add

User-agent: *
    Disallow:

(at the end of robots.txt) to give Google’s bots and crawler free access.

In a nutshell, since we are in ecommerce I wonder waht the optimal robot.txt is to boost seo/Google.

• administrators

How did that end up in your robots.txt.

I looked at your lines, but thirty bees doesn’t generate it like that. Instead it generates Disallows for every route that should not be accessible by a bot. Have you tried temporarily renaming your current robots.txt, regenerate a robots.txt and compare? There might be more optimizations possible.

• Nice, that you found time to check it. I did rename the file and generated a new one on the live host.

Differences are that I had to add, at the end:

User-agent: *
    Disallow:

Otherwise Google is not happy.
    I also added for my blog that I going to burry:
    Allow: */wordpress/

• administrators

@lesley is that correct?

• administrators

It is. Actually, to be honest, I quit using them unless you are specifically trying to hide something. Robots crawl everything unless they are told specifically not to.

Looks like your connection to thirty bees forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.