thirty bees forum

Removing country code from prices

SiliticX

Question

Hello there. Our entire shop will be Canadian and we'd like to remove the text 'CA' from the 'CA$' in the price display.

I believe I need to set the $this->setCurrencyDisplay() to CURRENCYDISPLAYCODE from the __construct in NumberFormatter.php

Although I'm not quite sure we even can override vendor classes and I don't want to break the package update capability...

is there a more proper way to do this that I'm not aware?

20 answers to this question

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to have the CA part there.

Many Canadians are very used to having to pay in USD online so depending on the type(s) of products you sell it might make your pricing easier to understand. Especially these days with the poor USDCAD rate potential customers are probably going to be very happy to not have to pay that 35% rate difference.

It is common practice (at least here in Canada it seems) to have only the currency symbol (without the CAD).

I too will need this option for my store.

Here's an example of a major brand store that has only the currency symbol shown: BestBuy.ca

We are targetting the Canadian market only and will NOT ship outside the country.

You give one example, I have another example: Amazon.ca.

When Amazon is doing something to make it absolutely clear that they are pricing in CAD and not USD you can be sure that there is consumer confusion going on. Lots of Canadians are accustomed to seeing online prices in USD so it's important to make it crystal clear when CAD is being used. (I love looking at what Amazon does and then finding ways to emulate it. They're the undisputed king of eCommerce and they don't do things for random reasons.)

Unless everyone who visits your site already knows your business (ie you're selling to a community where everyone knows you) there will be customers who are unsure if you are pricing your goods in USD or CAD and they will just assume that as you don't specify otherwise that you must be charging USD. It's always safer to assume the higher price rather than get a surprised credit card bill, and that will cost you business.

I have plans to launch a Canada-focused site later this year, priced in CAD. I want to advertise that fact so people know they aren't going to get screwed on exchange rates and end up paying much more than they planned. I will certainly be leaving the CAD marks on all prices.

@dynambee said in Removing country code from prices:

Unless everyone who visits your site already knows your business (ie you're selling to a community where everyone knows you) there will be customers who are unsure if you are pricing your goods in USD or CAD and they will just assume that as you don't specify otherwise that you must be charging USD. It's always safer to assume the higher price rather than get a surprised credit card bill, and that will cost you business.

You just answered it, thank you !

YES, we are a french canadian book editing company based in Montreal, Canada. Nobody will ever expect us to price our books in USD. I can see how it could be confusing on Amazon because of the different sellers sources, it is sometimes hard to tell if the item is sold by Amazon or from anyone outside the country.

I understand all the reasons why you would want to specify if the $ is USD or CAD, we are just saying that having the option to do so (or not) would be practical.

At the end of the day, I do what my boss is asking and I'm pretty sure that he will be asking to get rid of that mention.

@dprophitjr said in Removing country code from prices:

@ssimard it is possible to make the "CAD" invisible on the page and send it to structured data for the rich snippet. Are you familiar with doing this via <meta itemprop='' content=''/>?

Not really familiar with that yet unfortunately, just starting to learn all this.

We are still a few months away from release thou and if I understand well, mdekker said that the next TB version should have an easy way to do it ?

Thanks for pointing me in the proper direction, much appreciated.