thirty bees forum

How to get number of product in cart displayed on the product page?

annafjmorris

Question

I have seen in a few apps and sites recently where the number of a particular item you added in your cart shows on that item page.

So when you add, say tahini, to your cart, rather than an animation or a pop-up, you get the number of jars of tahini in your cart displaying.

You can then add or deduct more of that item from the cart using the plus or minus icon.

My site is currently being moved from prestashop, older version, to 30 bees and having a theme refresh. Have any of you seen this feature in prestashop before through a theme tweak or a plug-in?

alt text

9 answers to this question

I think what @annafjmorris is looking for is to have the amount of a given product already in the cart displayed on the product's page. So if a customer adds a product to their cart, keeps shopping, and then somehow returns to the same product page they can see that the product is already in their cart (and how many) without having to check the cart itself. This makes it less likely that a customer will double-order (and then return) items and also just makes it a more pleasant shopping experience for the customer, IMO.

Is this what Transformer is doing? If not does anyone know of themes that do this, or if it is even possible to do within a PS1.6 / 30bz theme?

@dynambee said in How to get number of product in cart displayed on the product page?:

So if a customer adds a product to their cart, keeps shopping, and then somehow returns to the same product page they can see that the product is already in their cart (and how many) without having to check the cart itself. >

Yes, but also it's a way of signalling that the item has been added to the cart in the first place. On the standard theme you can choose between when someone adds a product to the cart they go straight to the cart page or they stay where they are and don't go to the cart page. I really don't like option 1, and I hardly ever see this anymore on webshops. Option 2, however, really confuses our customers, they click to add something to the cart and "nothing happens" (I know that a number is added to the cart box at the top of the screen but many people don't see it).

I think there still needs to be an "add to cart" button on the page somewhere. Just a set of -/+ buttons doesn't follow the layout expected by most customers and it seems like it would be nearly as confusing as nothing happening at all after "add" is clicked.

Have the -/+ buttons and then an add to cart button under them. When items are added to the cart there should be some sort of indication that the "add" has been completed, of course. There are two standardized ways to do this:

• Option 1: An "item added" confirmation pop-up where users can choose "continue shopping" or "proceed to checkout".

• Option 2: Customers are redirected to a separate page that confirms that items have been added to their cart, and then other items commonly bought together with the added item are shown.

Amazon does it the second way. Sites that don't have Amazon's level of automation & product combo knowledge can do it the first way. Showing no confirmation would be very confusing to customers, for sure.