thirty bees forum

How best to "run diff aka comparison" on two MySQL databases? .sql questions

Billy

Question

So instead of spinning my wheels I want to take the guess work out of comparing two different databases for inconsistencies. I was wondering what rabbit hole I might run down in your opinion? What are the programs / software you guys are using to check for "diffs"? 

Of course I'm thinking about doing this within the confines of Wampserver for lack of a better way to do this. I did a little googling and found this way which might work. 

https://metacpan.org/dist/MySQL-Diff/view/bin/mysqldiff

Which brought up the question of mysqldiff vs mysqldbcompare anyway just wanted to reach and see what you guys use. Maybe you know of a standalone program? I thought of winmerge but it would require wildcards* and that's a whole other can of worms this guy isn't opening up.

Thanks Billy

Edited by Script-Fu
spelling

4 answers to this question

What is the problem with Winmerge? I regularly use it. Export the structure or the whole database from two databases and comparing the resulting sql files usually works. Occasionally I need to put the sql file in a database to change all the prefixes when they aren't the same.

Jumping between places with differences I usually find those differences that are relevant for my problem rather quick. 

1 minute ago, musicmaster said:

What is the problem with Winmerge? I regularly use it. Export the structure or the whole database from two databases and comparing the resulting sql files usually works. Occasionally I need to put the sql file in a database to change all the prefixes when they aren't the same.

Jumping between places with differences I usually find those differences that are relevant for my problem rather quick. 

I would love to use Winmerge however trying to compare two databases with it chokes my computer because of the size of them. The computer freezes solid every single time. Now I'm only talking about less than 400mib per database and thought yea I should be golden. Maybe I will go back and shut everything off off and try again.

Heck now you made remember about another program called InfoRapid different rabbit hole but yea I need to download that one again.

I did install MySQL workbench and ran some diffs. I just haven't had time to get back over here and post about them. Still trying to get to my finial destination with your copy_shopdata

I will go back and check Winmerge again... 

3 hours ago, zen said:

Have you try this free tool ? https://www.red-gate.com/products/mysql/mysql-compare/

I used it several times when needed and it does the job very well !

Yea I was on that site looking at it before I made these posts here. As like I said Winmerge just couldn't handle what I was throwing at it. Anyway long story short I ran msconfig and opened up task manager and shut down some stuff. Rebooted and Winmerge was able to open the files. I really should have done that first. It's not like I haven't been shutting stuff down since what win98? haha