thirty bees forum

Installation Issues with 1.0.6 on PHP 5.6

juhi81

Question

Hi Folks!

Desperately looking to switch over to ThirtyBees from Prestashop. But I encountered installation errors that are being caused since I am not running PHP 7.0. I am looking for a workaround for this problem, since I cannot upgrade to PHP 7.0 (my current Prestashop store is on the same server and apparently cannot work with PHP7.0).

I did a clean install of the latest release as of Sep 21, 2018 - TB 1.0.6.

When I tried to install, I was alerted that install cannot occur since the minimum requirements are PHP 5.5 (as also mentioned in the documentation). I found out that my server was running 5.4. So, I upgraded my server to PHP 5.6.

Now, my install went through. I deleted the "install" folder. But when I try to goto the admin page, I got another error.

I had turned on the debug mode an the error is:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function random_bytes() in classes/Rijndael.php on line 77

I did some digging and found from the PHP documentation online (http://php.net/manual/en/function.random-bytes.php) that this function is defined in PHP 7.0 onwards.

So, does this means that the Server Requirements for ThirtyBees 1.0.6 requires a PHP version of 7.0 or higher? (And not 5.5 as mentioned in the Documentation at https://thirtybees.com/download/)

For my case, would it help if I installed a lower version of ThirtyBees? Anything major I would miss out on?

2 answers to this question

This is a bug in 1.0.6 that's been fixed. Thirtybees (should) come with random_bytes polyfill, but this polyfill not part of 1.0.6.

The only code that uses this random_bytes function is Rijndael encryption, and this is going away soon. There are alternative encryption methods, so the easier way to fix this is change to different encryption. Log into your database and go to the <PREFIX>_configuration table. Find a key called PS_CIPHER_ALGORITHM and set the value to 2