thirty bees forum

How to handle products that need to be in two main categories?

alwayspaws

@alwayspaws said in How to handle products that need to be in two main categories?:

When I go to upload csv, it says you can't have the same name twice. That's sort of the problem.

"Note that the Category import does not support having two categories with the same name. Note that you can have several products with the same reference."

I definitely have multiple subcategories with the same category name on my dev site. The category tree was built through the API rather than through a CSV but as long as you are specifying the parent category(s) properly then at least as far as TB is concerned it is no problem.

In other words, this would be okay: Made in USA --> T-Shirts Not Made in USA --> T-Shirts

Is there a limitation with the CSV importer that doesn't make this possible? Or maybe I'm just not understanding the issue properly.

Your category hierarchy isn't semantically correct. If you go to the grocery store, you're not searching for the "no antibiotic cowes' isle. You're searching for the dairy isle. Clothing => t-shirts or tshirts. And then show you how to use feature sets to tell consumer country of origin or something like that.

@dprophitjr As a side note: Milk from non-antibiotic cows would be a feature! =) Unless, it had a specific EAN-13/UPC code. Then, it's an attribute in this shopping cart so that you can use the multi-product combo wizard to state specific EAN-13/UPC types. EAN-13/UPC is linked data in semantic web. The manufacturer often includes nutritional information, liquid volume and weight and the like.

@dprophitjr said in How to handle products that need to be in two main categories?:

@alwayspaws I meant writing a blog article with just text and screenshots.

Yes, please, Denver! I was going to send you screenshots of YouTube incorrectly-translated captions, but you can see them by turning the captions on. I wish YouTube had better voice recognition.

Thank you, Stephanie PS: I have not responded much in this (my) topic because I've been under the weather for a while and still am. Nothing critical, but please don't quote this. :)