thirty bees forum

How to upgrade from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 with manual code update?

hailong

Question

1 answer to this question

A Git repo doesn't stop you from doing an upgrade. Just upgrade and commit all the changes.

Before doing so I'd make a DB backup and commit this backup file to allow rolling back later. A git history isn't of much worth if you don't have a matching database.

For myself I use a Git repo filled with distributed files. Like

generic 1.0.0---B-----1.0.1---B-----1.0.2---B----... \ \ \ \ \ \--L''--L''--L''--L''--L'' <= life site \ \ ---L'---L'---L'---L'---L' \--L----L----L----L----L Where: 1.0.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.2, ... unmodified installations made from distribution ZIP, then upgraded for each release. B = database backup, backup file committed into the repo. L = local code changes

For each release I create a new branch on the previous unmodified installation, upgrade, then make a copy of the branch with previous local changes and rebase that to the new release. Sometimes a straight rebase is too complex, then I cherry-pick commit by commit from the previous branch, adjusting them as needed.

All this requires to understand a Git repo not as a backup tool or dump yard, but as a tool allowing to build code like with Lego bricks (one brick = one commit), allowing to copy and move commits as needed. Reading up on 'topic branches' and on how to rebase them is a good starter.

P.S.: 1.0.2 isn't released, yet. I put it into the graph for illustration purposes.