thirty bees forum

Category Image Problem

jfnewell1965

OK, so a category has three images associated with it....

• Category Cover Image
  • Category thumbnail
  • Menu thumbnails

I created a category, created three images for it (actually the category and menu thumbnails are the same), and then input them in the category setup page.

Everything worked great. 

So I move on to my next few categories, do the same thing, and no luck.

The Category Thumbnail does not show at all.  Just a place holder.
The Category Cover Image shows in place of the Category thumbnail.
The Category Cover Image shows as the Category Cover Image (as it should).

So far I have cleared cache (not running any on TB for development), cleared browser, renamed files, and regenerated thumbnails.

Any ideas on why the first category went perfect, and then the next few won't setup properly?

Update...but not fixed...

So, I went into the images folder "img" and found the "medium_default" image for the two categories I had setup.  

They showed in the "img" folder as "12-medium_default.jpg" and "13-medium_default.jpg".

In each case, the "medium_default" image has been overwritten with the "category_default" image. In other words, right name, but wrong image.

In all cases, the uploaded images show properly in the Back Office, this problem only effects what is shown in the Front office.

So referring to my earlier post.....

The Category Cover image....
.....Uploads and becomes  "XX-
category_default.jpg"  and apparently also get copied as "XX-medium_default.jpg".

The Category Thumbnail image...
....Which should get copied as
"XX-medium_default.jpg" never seems to do anything. Almost like it is a picture to be seen in the Back Office, but never displays on the Front Office.

And...just to keep it as mysterious as possible....the first category I set up does not have this issue.  Only the subsequent categories do.

(My work around right now is to set everything up, get the wrong images displayed, then FTP in, go to 'img" folder, rename the old system created files, and replace them with the proper file with the system name)

Edited by jfnewell1965
My horrible spelling

Another update...

If you regenerate the images (trying to get nice, compact, smaller sized images)....the system overwrites the manually update images, and the problem returns .

And...the first category that worked so perfectly, when I regenerated the images, my previously perfect first category now suffers the same fate.

And...regeneration changes the images in the Back Office as well.

So, throwing a guess out here...somewhere, the code is off for how the images are saved, compressed, renamed.....and again, I just don't have enough experience with the code to fix it.

Edited by jfnewell1965

And a final post....

So, what I find to be true is that there are some tricks to getting things right with the category images.

Again, given the three images that can be specified in a category:

- Category Cover Image
- Category thumbnail
- Menu thumbnails

What I had to do is specify them in order...like this:

1. Add the Category Cover Image.
2. Save the page.
(When you go back to the page you will see that the Category Thumbnail image is the same as the Category Cover Image...ignore it.)
3. Add the Category Thumbnail.
4. Save the page.
5. Add/upload the Menu Thumbnail(s)
6. Save the page.

Notes:
-If you rush the steps, and try to save all at one time, things won't work right.
-If you ever change the Category Cover Image, you will have to repeat steps 2 through 4.
-If you ever regenerate images, you will have to repeat steps 2 through 4.

That's what I did to make it work...hope it helps someone.