thirty bees forum

Split Payments

Havouza

Hi all tb fans! I am interested in split payments, in the meaning that customer pay, and the payment is then split automatically between the shop owner and the vendor. Paypal kalled it Adaptive Payments but it seems that this is now very restricted and will probably be deprecated. The Braintree Marketplace is no option in Europe. Anyone know of another solution?

@mdekker said in Split Payments:

Doesn't take a PayPal clearing up to 7 days as well?

As with just about everything related to payment processing... "it depends".

PayPal has received a lot of hate over the years for putting rolling reserves on accounts or holding funds for a certain period before releasing them. Really though these types of things are just standard practice in the payment processing industry.

Once a business has a strong history with a given payment processor then there are generally fewer restrictions placed or restrictions that have been placed can be eased. Sometimes this requires asking (nicely of course) for changes to be made to the account.

My US company has a Stripe account set up that we haven't used yet. I'm definitely curious what will happen when we start to run some business through it. We have a very strong history with PayPal, they don't even hold funds in the account anymore if a customer opens a dispute.

Regarding splitting payments, the best thing to do is to reach out to PayPal and ask. It's always good to have an open line of communication with your payment processor anyway, that way if there are any problems they know they can contact you.

@Havouza said in Split Payments:

@mdekker Paypal pay out directly when you order the transfer. I get my money max 2 days after the request

PayPal will place restrictions on accounts that have little history or that have a history with too many disputes/chargebacks. These can include holding all funds for a period of time (7 days, for example), keeping a rolling reserve of all incoming payments (25% for 30 days, for example). These types of restrictions are common across the payment processing industry as a form of risk exposure reduction.

Another thing that can trigger restrictions is a sudden increase in sales. If a seller has been putting through $10k per month for the last few years and suddenly that jumps to $150k a month there will probably be restrictions added to the account until PayPal are confident that the new volume is legitimate and that the company can manage this sort of volume effectively. If an account holder expects a dramatic change in sales numbers then contacting PayPal in advance to discuss this with them is also a good idea. Restrictions are less likely if they are kept in the loop and are confident that the account owner is planning for the increased sales volume.

All of this is completely normal in the payment processing industry. Consumer protection laws mean that processing payments carries quite a lot of risk for the processor so they do as much as they can to manage that risk effectively.

The thread has gone a little astray. The question was about split payments. I have got an answer from Paypal and they are very reluctant to new users. With Payza it is only possible using their payment buttons which in my case is no alternative. And as said before, the Stripe version I cant use because Cyprus is not among the few countries where Stripe operate

@Havouza said in Split Payments:

I will change my answer after getting an answer from the tech support at Payza. It is fully possible to do what I want using Payza, so now I only need a programmer to make the module ;-)

Do customers need a Payza account to make payments, like with (basic) PayPal? Or is it more like Stripe where customers just pay with credit cards...?

The question I would ask them first is at what point do they force guests to register? PayPal has guest checkout as well but after a certain number of transactions and/or a certain dollar amount they seem to force customers to register. PayPal's market penetration is so big that this isn't a massive problem but with a smaller processor it could be a barrier to sales. (This information probably won't be on their website but perhaps their level 2 or higher tech support could give you an answer.)