thirty bees forum

Use of Heading 1/2/3/4/5/6 in product pages and any page in general in order to not have doubles

Raymond

Question

Hello

To start with I want to tell that I am very happy of Thirty Bees and I express my big Thank You to the Staff and Everyone contributing to the project.

Sorry for my noob question here, I know that might be a silly one

As far as I learnt, as rule of the thumb formatting any text, in order to not have SEO problems is good practice to use headings and paragraphs in a proper way, so the main title would be marked as Heading 1, the following text as paragraph, then the next relevant subtitle would be marked as Heading 2, the following text as paragraph and so forth up to Heading 6 and related text in a paragraph...

An important thing doing this is to never use two times the same Heading kind, so never mark a title and one or more subtitles with the same Heading tag..

When I do use TB to create a new product page, blog page, CMS page, category description, in the GUI panel used for each, there are all the fields to be filled, title of the page, all the necessary metadata, short description, description, tags and so on...

In the final resulting page at the end of the game what is shown in clear and in the metadata is given not only by the product page itself but also from the various blocks coming from all modules used, e.g. a reassurance block, related products block, accessories block and so on....

Using firefox debugger I analysed a typical product page, I found out that H1 was automatically assigned by TB to the text used in the title field when the page was created, therefore I think to have to use Heading 2 for a title in the short description, or in alternative use a paragraph in the short description and a H2 title in the long description and then assign H3 to H6 to all other subtitles in the long description.

Is that correct?

However, here comes the thing that most confuse me, looking at the various blocks hooked in the product page I analysed I found out that the reassurance block uses the tags H3 to H6, another block from a module showing accessories to add to the cart also uses H3 and then H4 more times, the related product block also uses the H4 tag.... and so on....

I do not use so far other modules, but as I have seen I can expect that using other modules more blocks with more doubled Heading tags might be shown....

Overall thus I see that apparently in a typical TB (or PS) product page this rule of the thumb to "never have double Heading tags in a page" is not respect at all....

I am not expert enough to understand well what all this mean...

Is that rule of the thumb of not having double heading tags not true?
OR
If those double heading tags are in different blocks in the page, do maybe the crawlers do not consider it a problem? ....

Does anyone knows well this matter and maybe explain for good how to avoid these kind of subtle problems that might affect the SEO?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Kind regards

Ray

4 answers to this question

It's perfectly fine to use headings of a certain size multiple times. Else one could have only six headings on the entire page, after all, and no two of the same size.

H1 is usually used only once, for the page title. All others as often as needed.

"Short description" means short description. No headings at all, just one or two regular paragraphs.

That said, there are no technical restrictions. Use what matches your design best.

Thank you Traumflug and Purity

This is clear and reassuring now, so that "rule of the thumb" I was toldI read somewhere and too by some, except for the H1 tag to be not used twice, is a hoax.

Although maybe this was a pretty "noob question" I hope that my post and you answer can help everyone else me who had a any doubt about this topic.

Kind regards

Ray

The main thing to keep in mind when using headings is the hierarchy. As long as no h3 is semantically above a h2, you are free to use multiples. Google likes a singular h1 to fill its search results and thus punishes pages with multiple visible h1 tags, that is all.