thirty bees forum

Already deleted categories are still visible in the DB and their short URLs are creating issues with new cats

the.rampage.rado

Question

Hi there

I would like to post this here as I lost couple of hours yesterday trying to identify the issue with my oldest shop and because of it's nature (migrated from PS, etc) I would like to have a discussion here and find if this applies to current TB installations aswell.

Years ago I had few categories like 'Basketballs' in my shop. They were long gone because I made new shop for this and other sports and left the current one with just one sport.

Because I would like to reintroduce other brands selling basketball and other ball sports I had to make new category Basketball and then under it Basketballs.

When I added products there the breadcrumbs in my front shop were all messed up.

Instead of Home>Basketball>Basketballs there were other old deleted categories in there, one of which was Basketballs also, something like:

Home>Basketball>old_category>other_oldcategory>Basketballs>Basketballs

The issue is that because of the new TB category SEO URLs w/o ID in them the system picks the oldes SEO URL that matches and puts it in the navigation (with it's parent category).

First of all I was - WTF!?

The issue is gone after I manually deleted the old categories from DB from ps_category_lang (they should be deleted from other tables as well but I've lost the IDs and it's working now, so I'm not bothered).

The old deleted categories were not showing in the category tree structure in BO.

I have a brand new TB demo instalation and now I'll try to reproduce the issue there as well.

EDIT: the TB demo with the latest updates behaves normally and deletes the category from all tables. So this issue should be because of the migration from PS or even before that.

Can somebody with migrated old shop as mine make this test and search for the deleted category in ps_category_lang (and the other category tables) so we can find out if this can be reproduced?

Edited by the.rampage.rado

1 answer to this question

What I suggest as a quick fix, find the breadcrumbs in product.tpl or wherever it happens, create an if statement and somehow identify when this happens ( as in reading the breadcrumb itself or something ) and then just hard code whatever you need.

Although this should be considered just as a quick fix until you get everything sorted.