thirty bees forum

migration ps 1.5 > thirtybees friendly urls and seo

annafjmorris

Question

Hi, we have migrated our store in a staging area and I working on it with the designers. One thing I was really excited to see is that the stupid prestashop url's issue has been fixed already in thirtybees. Before, in prestashop, everytime we made a change to a product prestashop would change the URL slightly. I can't imagine Google etc cope well with this behaviour.

One thing that worries me about this, however, is that effectively all of our product page URLs will be changing all at once when we make the store live. All the store.com/a-product-56/ URLS will change to store.com/a-product/

I'm a bit worried that this is going to really mess with our organic site visits from search engines for a while, as it's almost like we are wiping away all our products and replacing them with new ones. After all, many of our products haven't been edited in a long time so the url's will have been the same for a long time.

Does anyone know what we should expect? Are we going to be looking at a big dive in organic traffic for a few months?

Thanks for reading x

20 answers to this question

According google it shouldn't be a problem if you use 301 redirect. But it should be done mentally for every single URL in your shop I believe because you are migrating from 1.5. I am also interested about it so if you have any success please share your experience.

I ask this because if it is like what i first mentioned google will pick up your old urls with id as duplicate urls i guess. Normally the id's are a prefix for every product in the old way, so if i understand you your products have the same name's and the id's make the difference. Do i understand?

I meant manually not mentally in my previous post, it's my tablet guilt. @Baarssen i don't believe anyone would use same structure like your first example. But it wouldn't be problem to use 301 also and choose new name.

http://store.nemops.com/seo/29-prestashop-seo-booster.html#.WXOtioiLSUk

I dont know if it its thisone because i used anotherone, but you can ask nemops for help. He's the person who knows everything about this matter, and also thirtybees developer

Nemo's module does the same, 301 redirect. Of course considering that thirty bees already has clean urls in the core. @annafjmorris those # numbers when you choose size with the drop down doesn't matter, they are not indexed, and if they accidentally got indexed you can use tool in webmaster tools to exclude them from the search index.

Make sure you're new sitemap is submitted to Google. Also some people swear by using the 'fetch as Google and submit to index' in Google Search Console to instantly index the url. I use it myself but I don't know if it's true anymore if it's worth doing but the sitemap is the most important part. Also do the sitemap in Bing webmaster tools.