thirty bees forum

E-mail notification when new product reviews are submitted

Siteboost

• 2 months later...

@MockoB I went to configure it and it was already configured, but at least I saw the comment awaiting approval. I guess I'll have to check the product comments module from time to time, until I figure out how to have it show up in the admin dashboard or in email. (smile: hinting in case there's something else I should do).

@gonssal I don't know where to find that hook and I'm not actually a hooker ... I mean coder. lol.

@MockoB - I have done some investigating but haven't implemented any of the below yet, but I have high hopes:

Some of this info dates back to 2013 and PS 1.5 but may somehow work:

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/244193-how-can-i-have-notifications-about-new-comments-made-on-products/

Modify the existing products comments module and add a mail() call in the function that saves the customer's comment:

First make in /productcomments folder /mails. In /mails make folder with Yourisolanguage like (en, fr, pl)

and here mail templates named new_comment.(txt, html).

in file productcomments on line 542 (or whatever) after:

find $comment->save();

paste:

$template = 'newcomment'; $subject = $this->l('New comment'); $mailma = 'HEREYOUEMAILADDRESS'; $idlang = (isobject($cookie) AND isset($cookie->idlang)) ? (int)$cookie->idlang : (int)Configuration::get('PSLANGDEFAULT'); $iso = Language::getIsoById((int)$idlang);

if (file_exists(dirname(__FILE__).'/mails/'.$iso.'/'.$template.'.txt') AND file_exists(dirname(__FILE__).'/mails/'.$iso.'/'.$template.'.html'))
            Mail::Send($id_lang, $template, $subject, NULL, $mail_ma, NULL, strval(Configuration::get('PS_SHOP_EMAIL')), strval(Configuration::get('PS_SHOP_NAME')), NULL, NULL, dirname(__FILE__).'/mails/');

end of that posted code

Tech support from Vekia in that same forum post:

Vekia: you have to modify module .php file

to the function where comment is added to cart - just add mail function to send an email.

Someone asked him to clarify and his reply was:

Files that need to be edited, which files they are and the mail call code that needs to be put in:

modules/productcomments/controllers/front/default.php

add mail function somewhere after: $comment->save();

=====================

A different user worked out the code for PS 1.5.6

I edited the following file: mywebsite/modules/productcomments/controllers/front/default.php

And I added the following line: mail("newreview@mymail.com","new review","new review posted on website")

After the first "$comment->save();" on line 110, like so:

$comment->title = Tools::getValue('title'); $comment->grade = 0; $comment->validate = 0; $comment->save(); mail("newreview@mymail.com","new product review","new product review posted on website");

$grade_sum = 0;
            foreach(Tools::getValue('criterion') as $id_product_comment_criterion => $grade)
            {
                $grade_sum += $grade;
                $product_comment_criterion = new ProductCommentCriterion($id_product_comment_criterion);
                if ($product_comment_criterion->id)
                    $product_comment_criterion->addGrade($comment->id, $grade);
            }

============================

News for users of the PS 1.7 version (if any are here) Free product reviews module for new PrestaShop 1.7.x productcomments.zip by Vekia:

This addon is a modification of old 'productcomments' module that we have by default in each installation of prestashop 1.6.x / 1.5.x. Now it fully supports new releases of PS 1.7.x. Module has exactly the same features as previous versions with improved design.

Download from forum:

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/609811-free-module-product-reviews-comments-for-prestashop-17/?_fromLogin=1

Another user's observation and fix for that addon:

If the popup stays on screen the user said: It was the usual "wrong folder and file permissions" on Prestashop. Changed everything to 755/644 and now it's working.

So, I'm not sure I'm up to this task, but I may try ... tomorrow. Today is shot.