thirty bees forum

Install PS in test site, then migrate it to thirty bees - good idea?

alwayspaws

Question

What thoughts do you have about putting a copy of PS 1.6.1.11 in a test environment and then migrating that to thirty bees?

I plan to download thirty bees 1.0.1 – released April 26th, 2017 here:

https://thirtybees.com/download/

and I'm looking at the migration instructions here:

https://thirtybees.com/migrate-from-prestashop/

Thanks!

15 answers to this question

@alwayspaws said in Install PS in test site, then migrate it to thirty bees - good idea?:

What thoughts do you have about putting a copy of PS 1.6.1.11 in a test environment and then migrating that to thirty bees?

Do you want to do a test migration of an existing shop? If so then making a copy of your existing shop and doing multiple test migrations (modules on, modules off, etc) is an excellent idea. It's always advisable to do one or more test migrations on a non-production copy of your shop before doing any migration or upgrade on a live shop.

Of course when you do finally migrate your live production shop you should make a full backup first in case something still manages to go wrong. It's always easier to restore from backup than to try to fix or roll back a borked upgrade or migration.

@alwayspaws Some hosts make it very easy to duplicate a website. If you're not sure how to do it you may find details in your hist's help area or you may need to contact support and ask them for help.

Both the files and db need to be duplicated and you will need to update PS to point to the new copy of the db. You'll also need to update the domain setting in PS.

@dynambee update: Since I'm starting over, I decided I didn't want to migrate and have a lot of old junk on my new site, so I installed the latest thirty bees and updated the modules that needed it.

I'm taking my time because after two years, what's another year? :( but I'm very encouraged and motivated now.

There's also a plus to this for the community, I hope, because since I am starting new, I can notice and report little things without feeling embarrassed. lol.