thirty bees forum

Mailchimp module issue '503 service unavailable'

x97wehner

In the last few days, I noticed my back office wasn't operating correctly. It was slow to load almost every page and sometimes popped up timeout errors. After debugging, I found that the Mailchimp module is the culprit. If I disable it, everything flows fine again. After opening the module config, I see it's presenting an error " Server error: `GET https://us11.api.mailchimp.com/3.0/lists` resulted in a `503 Service Unavailable` response:"

Is this happening to anyone else? Does anyone know how to resolve?

Have you check to see if you are on a Blacklist?

Are you hosted or self managed? 

"Connection refused" or "Connection timed out"

These are firewall issues. Most likely, your webhost is blocking access to the MailChimp API servers.

To fix it, you should ask your webhost for the following URL to be whitelisted:

https://*.api.mailchimp.com

403 "Forbidden" or 503 "Service Unavailable"

This means that the IP address that your hosting provider uses for outbound cURL connections made by PHP is blacklisted by the Akamai firewall (because of poor reputation). Akamai is the firewall MailChimp and many other major websites use to protect their servers, which is why this is somewhat harder to fix.

Note that many hosting providers use shared IP addresses, meaning that your website IP is shared with a number of their users. It's possible that another client of your hosting provider did something to get the IP blacklisted, completely out of your control.

When this happens, we recommend you to change your hosting IP address because having a bad reputation at Akamai does not just affect the MailChimp API.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This error happen for a wide variety of reasons. Normally, this error can be due to a temporary overloading or maintenance being performed on the server and it is resolved after a period of time or once another thread has been released by web-server application. In most cases this could happen (assuming there are no faults in your app) if there are long running tasks and as a result the request queue is backed up.The subsequent points serve as a possible fix, aimed toward resolving the 503 Service Unavailable Error.

• Reload (Refresh) the page
  • Scan for Malware
  • Visiting the website later
  • Contact server admin