thirty bees forum

/admin folder automatically renaming itself?

dynambee

Question

TB1.1.0, with no updates done.

I have one test site where the /admin folder is still named /admin. However if I log out of the back office the /admin folder gets renamed to something else. Most recently /admin281cw0mah. If I set it back to /admin and log in/out again the same thing happens, but with a different random name.

I generally rename my /admin folder to something else after installing a site so I haven't seen this happen before. Is it normal behavior? Randomly renaming the folder and not telling the end user about it seems like a poor idea. If they don't notice and aren't particularly technical they won't be able to get back into their admin panel!

2 answers to this question

Without looking it up, I'd guess it indeed renames it from 'admin' to something else. This happens right after installation and the user gets notified about this.

No idea why people would want to rename this folder to something less safe, like 'admin'. Just don't do it. Renaming it to something not starting with 'admin' breaks a shop installation as well. Don't do this either. It's an e-commerce software, not a funny-user-idea-healing toy 🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Traumflug said:

Without looking it up, I'd guess it indeed renames it from 'admin' to something else. This happens right after installation and the user gets notified about this.

After installation it remains /admin. I think it actually gets changed after the first access to the /admin directory. I never noticed this before as I always renamed it myself at the same time as I deleted the /install folder.

Renaming it to something not starting with 'admin' breaks a shop installation as well. Don't do this either.

I have never used the word admin in any of my /admin folders and have never had any problem with this. I just spent a bunch of time digging around in Google and can find no mention of a PS 1.6 requirement that the /admin folder name start with admin. Did this change with TB? Can you point to anything that shows this as a requirement for TB and explain why it would matter at all?

It's an e-commerce software, not a funny-user-idea-healing toy 🙂

There's no need for comments like this. My skin is plenty thick and your snide remarks do not bother me but they might bother other people. Let's keep it professional.

• Like 1