thirty bees forum

[solved] How to control mousover on the breadcrumb template?

veganline

Question

I struck gold with some code to show descriptions on mousover of the manufacturer logo - the post is here - but I had no idea what I was doing, and how to show descriptions on mousover of breadcrumb links.

I know that in html, a link with TITLE="bla" shows "bla" on mousover of the link; it shows in a little yellow box.

I know that thirtybees breadcrumb links just say nothing on mousover, or blurt-out what you have just read already if they are the last link. On the demo site, mousover "Coffee and Tea" to see "Coffee and Tea" in a yellow box.

Does anyone know how to change this so that the description for the coffee and tea category shows on mousover?
Or where to look and learn how to do it?

breadcrumb.jpg

Edited by veganline
solved

3 answers to this question

breadcrumb2.jpg.5b4aabdaccbd02a30af4ddfab9e64d73.jpgThis looks promising. First, ignore the word "title" near the top of the breadcrumb template; that's a decoy and means the layer above. Then at about line 34-38 in themes/niara/breadcrumb.tpl , replace the line <a href="#" title="{$breadcrumb.title}" itemprop="item">

{else}
          <a href="#" title="{$product->description}"  itemprop="item">
            <span itemprop="name">{$breadcrumb.title}</span>
          </a>
        {/if}

{$product->meta_title} works too.
Any comments and suggestions welcome - I've only just discovered this and it might break something else. And is there a way of searching for category descriptions as well as product descriptions?

Edited by veganline

Thanks! My over-editing effected the number of times your post shows - sorry.

--------------------------------update
title="{$product->description}"  itemprop="item"

...was a bit ambitious; the system seems very easily upset by any kind of code in the description, even a line break, and has an odd result of a breadcrumb with "item prop="item" in it.

title="{$product->meta_description}" itemprop="item"

...seems fine. I only write this in case someone else wants to try the same thing.

Edited by veganline