thirty bees forum

A complete newbie, what are thirtybees advantages ?

Zammo

Hey all. Okay, so I know it is a fork and was created by people who wanted 1.6 to be kept on due to 1.7 changing dramatically and removing features, but, what I find hard to find info on is what exactly does it mean ? I have a 1.6 store and was eyeing up moving to 1.7 but what advantages do I have going to thirtybees instead of 1.7 (apart from a more awesome community of course) now that many 1.6 modules have been updated to work with 1.7 and given I am also happy to change my theme ?

What are the positives and negatives ? That would be the best FAQ, to see what I gain and what I lose. I notice the documentation pages say it is compatible with almost every 1.6 module and theme, that is great, but now things have moved on 4 years since 1.7 came out, do we lose anything that 1.7 users gain with themes ? As I guess not many theme developers are making new 1.6 themes. So I guess I mean is there anything 1.7 themes can do that 1.6 can't even with thirtybees ?

Nearly all videos on thirtybees on Youtube in English seem to be 3+ years old so it is hard to find visual info that is up to date.

Any info appreciated, thanks :)

Hi

This is my opinion, it is not about keeping on the 1.6 version, but about getting rid f the amazing amount of troubles and lacks in prestashop + getting rid of a company that did a good job creating/developing prestashop but also kept in it a lot of nonsense and caused many troubles in the time.

One of the things they did that the more kept punching in the eyes is how version after version same bugs and inconsistencies where left there and how bad was their update system.

Personally I always had a double feeling about prestashop, good on a side and a nightmare on the other.

When then they did 1.7 and tried it I deemed it terribly bad and soon understood that could not become any better for me in the time, that because the languages translation system, which just horrible, rigid, lengthy, slow, absurd I would say.

In PS 1.7 I saw no special improvements, on the contrary I saw a regression to worst standards, I just could not understand the choice to cripple the translation system in such a bad way.

I do not know about the other users' experience in this respect, but for myself I learnt to not trust at all the prestashop company and their marketplace, I had many frustrating experiences, became allergic to them.

That's my 5 cents about.

Happy that TB was done and that is kept alive.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

we have been using TB for a number of years now and I never looked back at PS. Most old PS bugs are ironed out by now and it's a solid and stable solution to run your eCommerce shop. Also we've used lots of modules and only had very minor incompatibility issues that could usually be solved by the module developers within minutes.

We have been down the track of Magento, Opencart, Zen Cart (jeeez...remember that), Wordpress with Woocart, Joomla with Virtuemart and J2store and Hikashop and from all the 'free' solutions we've never had anything better than TB. The TB team and still rather small community is active and very helpful. You can report bugs and they don't get ignored like with PS.

So in my opinion TB has got to be hands down the best and most feature loaded system out there. But to be honest, if you zero web dev experience you will have to hire someone at some stage unless you run an out of the box system which practically doesn't exist in a real world scenario. Updating modules and themes is not the easiest compared to say Woocommerce and there aren't as many modules and themes available that officially work with TB. Said that most modules will work fine if they are 1.6 compatible. For themes, there aren't that many options I think. We have used the IQit Warehouse theme and recently switched to Sunnytoo Panda which works great with TB.

• Like 4