thirty bees forum

Cannot change country ISO code

RabbitZzZ

Hi,

in a 1.2.0 store since we activated Geolocation it seems people from Greece can't order properly anymore in the shop (one customer reported it workes in Firefox, but in Chrome he got the message "You cannot place a new order from your country. GR"). So I supposed it has something to do with Greece's ISO Code in the shop being "EL" and not "GR" and the Maxmind database using the latter. When I tried to change it in the localisation settings in the shop it didn't work. I always get the message that the ISO code I entered is already in use and two countries can't have the same one. The odd thing is though that no other country has the same code. I also tried with a different country, changing the code to something not in use with the same result.
Is it a bug? Can you reproduce? 
Would it be safe to just change the ISO code via database as a temporal workaorund?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Regards!

I don't know how to reproduce, but...

You could try another GeoIP service as well as what you suggested. 
https://store.getdatakick.com/en/modules/cloudflare-geoip works with Cloudflare.
Cloudflare tends to slow sites down a little but it can be set to let traffic by-pass the CDN service, leaving you with their GeoIP. (It is also free and can provide a free secure server certificate with a bit of work).

The only reason to suggest this is that I remember loads of posts about GeoIP services on the PS and TB forums before the Cloudflare-based one came-along.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 7:18 PM, veganline said:

I don't know how to reproduce, but...

You could try another GeoIP service as well as what you suggested. 
https://store.getdatakick.com/en/modules/cloudflare-geoip works with Cloudflare.
Cloudflare tends to slow sites down a little but it can be set to let traffic by-pass the CDN service, leaving you with their GeoIP. (It is also free and can provide a free secure server certificate with a bit of work).

The only reason to suggest this is that I remember loads of posts about GeoIP services on the PS and TB forums before the Cloudflare-based one came-along.

For this I will have to register the whole site to Cloudflare aswell, all with DNS servers and such right (I did this already for other sites and could possibly try this)?

On 7/16/2021 at 1:11 AM, SLiCK_303 said:

So at some point you changed the default ISO code for Greece from GR to EL?  And now you cant change it back?  By default it's at GR..

Yes, I changed it for accounting reasons and now can't change it back. But as I said it's also not possible for unchanged countries.
Maybe I could change it in the database?

Edited by RabbitZzZ

This seems to be a bug in TB, not being able to edit the ISO code in BO>Localization>Countries, as I cannot edit them as well on my 1.2.0 test server.  I would find it in the DB and edit it manually if it were me.  Backing up the db first of course.....

23 hours ago, RabbitZzZ said:

For this I will have to register the whole site to Cloudflare aswell, all with DNS servers and such right (I did this already for other sites and could possibly try this)?

Yes it's a long shot. I had not noticed the new GeoIP module that should save you the trouble, apart from this bug.