thirty bees forum

Translation

DaoKakao

Actually ... yes! You find these items displayed in the admin section Localization --> Countries --> --->Address display -->Required fields for the address Helpful for foreign users with no or poor English skills to understand the fields' meanings in the left Address format.

@occam Thank you for clarificatoin!

Another issue i've found yet in PrestaShop:

In Russian language "FROM" and "TO" could be translated two diffferent ways, depending on context. For instance, when we talk about "Start date" in the report - it has one translation, and when we talk about "source" when copying translation or file, then it should be different translation. Is it possible to take in account that and make distinction for such cases?

In German we have the same problem. Another example would be the item title. To avoid gross errors in translation we decided for PrestaShop some years ago to create a distinct item named social title. This is the PrestaShop ... pardon ... thirty bees' Stairway to heaven: :musicalnote: *"'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings ...* :musicalnote: :) Actually, depending on the context there may even be more than two different meanings for e.g. title. Sometimes it is not possible to make distinctions, so you need to translate carefully and always mind the context.

Exactly, agree for 146%! It was a headache with that 'title', i was wondered, why not 2 use the 'gender' or 'sex' for some cases? Another such bright-shining sentence is plural and single parts of phrases. Everything is Ok in English 'coz strictly one form for plural, but in Russian there's 3 forms of plural. :)

Thanks for this gender hint. In blocknewsletter there is an item gender that has the meaning of social title, whereas the gender in AdminGenders (Hashcode: AdminGenders019ec3132cdf8ee0f2e2a75cf5d3e459) really means gender. Not to mention the menu item Ttitles in Admin --> Customers --> Titles. This should be corrected to the real meaning Social Titles. It's no automatism, changing the name to thirty bees alone does not guarantee a correct source code for the translations. ;) And btw, in the German translation I often ignored the use of plural and single and prefered a consistent translation.

@daokakao said in Translation:

I wonder something slightly different - an absence of any kind of co-ordination / orchestration of such different-skilled devs.

Oh, they did, but far too late. Alexandra does a very good job since, and her English skills in conversation and writing are excellent.

@DaoKakao

I really wondered, why such ugly/overcomplicated mixture of (almost)same terms appeared.

Because there's more than one person involved in writing code. Each person has its own preferences on how to write code, this applies not only to translatable strings. And then ... well, when writing code, using elegant language in texts isn't exactly top priority. Code writers watch out much more for the code doing what it should do.

That said, if you find such mismatching use of human language, don't hesitate to report them as code bugs (on Github). Changing such wording doesn't change how the code works, so it's easily replaceable.

@traumflug said in Translation:

@DaoKakao

I really wondered, why such ugly/overcomplicated mixture of (almost)same terms appeared.

Because there's more than one person involved in writing code. Each person has its own preferences on how to write code, this applies not only to translatable strings. And then ... well, when writing code, using elegant language in texts isn't exactly top priority. Code writers watch out much more for the code doing what it should do.

That said, if you find such mismatching use of human language, don't hesitate to report them as code bugs (on Github). Changing such wording doesn't change how the code works, so it's easily replaceable.

Nice try, but we're talking about translation items imported fom PrestaShop which have been messed up since years. And already in 2013 Francois and I had prepared a handout for the developers in order to harmonize the wording or at least the spelling. But things changed not until PrestaShop engaged a person reponsible for this with the authority to decide how the translatable strings had to look like. What we are dealing with here is to large extend a burden of the past!

It's a pity that admins approved all unapproved sentences in one fell swoop... I hoped to go thru translation thorougly, because it has some stylistic, semantic and syntax mistakes.

Will it be a great insolence to ask @mdekker to revert this?

Pl, don't worry. Most of sentences are ok. I've been worrying more about some sentences which are same in english, but has different translations in Russian, depending on context. Fortunately, there's very few of such issues.

What should i do in that cases? Open an issue in github?