thirty bees forum

Transformer & Panda ST-Themes ThemeForest account on Envato has been Suspended :(

alwayspaws

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@marci123 said in Transformer & Panda ST-Themes ThemeForest account on Envato has been Suspended :(:

People like you and me should be able to communicate with developers from those countries and exchange experiences

Just real fact: Even during the highest gear of cold war scientists from US and USSR has contacted each other almost on daily basis, despite the horrible KGB. Now someone consider this is terrible sin.

@daokakao said in Transformer & Panda ST-Themes ThemeForest account on Envato has been Suspended :(:

The fact of contacts with prohibited countries isn't so important (in my view) compared to overall hypocritical approch - it is always much easier to punish theme developer than Apple or MS for instance

If you think Apple, MS, or other large companies are doing business with Iran, Cuba, or North Korea you're delusional (and I'm starting to think you might be delusional.) I'm sure some products are smuggled into those countries as that is impossible to stop completely but you're not going to find an Apple Store in Tehran or Pyongyang.

Anyway, you seem to have a very strange understanding of international relations and diplomacy. There's not much I can do about that so I don't see much point in continuing to discuss this with you.

@marci123 said in Transformer & Panda ST-Themes ThemeForest account on Envato has been Suspended :(:

Yes sanctions can be a useful tool. However, I think it should only concern the 'big industries'. People like you and me should be able to communicate with developers from those countries and exchange experiences. Being peaceful and friendly between 'normal' humans prevents wars too.

There's no problem to communicate with people in sanctioned countries. You can even visit sanctioned countries if you feel safe doing so. However you can not conduct business activities with sanctioned countries.

Again, if he did sell something to a sanctioned company, then again aint that Envatos problem @dynambee ;) - Then there platform allowes sanctioned countrys to buy from there site.

What i dont get here is still, HOW can envato make a case, with out them having fucked up in the start?

@bzndk said in Transformer & Panda ST-Themes ThemeForest account on Envato has been Suspended :(:

I still wonder how envato got proff of this again if there proff is based on contact form via there page, then they actually is the issue.

There is no problem with talking to someone from a sanctioned country, or having someone from a sanctioned country connect to your web site. It's also impossible to block people from visiting your public website, especially technical people. Geoblocking etc is fine but proxies and VPNs exist and will easily get around any sort of Geoblock.

The problems happen when they try to do business with you and you accept. "Hey, I'm in Iran so I want to pay you with BTC because I can't use PayPal, Visa, etc." If you say "Sure!" then you're potentially in a lot of trouble. If you say, "Sorry, no can do" then you would generally be fine.

@bzndk Don't try to explain something for people, who already answered all the question in their life - you would get nothing but ideological stamps.

During XIX century China denied 'collaboration' with 'international community', which had form of forcing chinese people to take more opium, so wheh the 'international community' run out of arguments, the opium war began. Good lesson of 'collaboration with international community'

@bzndk said in Transformer & Panda ST-Themes ThemeForest account on Envato has been Suspended :(:

Still they are quite locked down if they sell on Envato to keep a good split they can only sell thrue Envato, so the issue here is still did this person buy via Envato, if he did Envato is actually responsible not Jonny. @dynambee

People tend to be very critical of large sites like eBay, PayPal, Amazon, Envato, etc. However these sites do not profit by shutting down their seller's accounts. They only profit when the seller is making money on their platform.

Therefore they do not like to shut down successful sellers for no reason as it costs them money. Envato's non-exclusive author fees are 55% of the sale price. That's not a typo, they take more than half of every sale. If you are exclusive to Envato then fees are a sliding scale between 12.5% and 37.5%.

I do not know what happened in the case of Jonny with Envato but I suspect from Envato's standpoint they felt he knowingly did business with someone in a sanctioned country. Jonny even admitted himself that he "cooperated with an agency from one of those countries in the last few months".

If Envato does not ban sellers/developers who break sanctions then Envato risks losing their entire business. It's just not worth the risk.

@lesley I asked and this was their reply about refunds:

Thinesh (Envato Market Help) Nov 21, 06:26 AEDT

A refund is the only option in this case for all the affected buyers.

Regards, Thinesh P L2 Help Officer

I personally am very confident in Jonny Li and his products and he’s going to have his own website or some way of supporting his products and updating them.

@dynambee said in Transformer & Panda ST-Themes ThemeForest account on Envato has been Suspended :(:

I see now that @DaoKakao is Russian.

I never cloaked that. Very deep-minded conclusion.

Sure, my origin explains everything: (as a said - having all answers for everything)

That certainly explains his rather odd viewpoint on sanctions considering the Russian economy & currency are currently being decimated by sanctions.

The most funny thing is that i can't see 'decimated Russian economy'. Just a small fact: when i went to the bank in order to open account for my company i had to wait more than 2 weeks, because of boom of opening companies. Yes, we're in deep trouble. Please stay considering that :)

@alwayspaws said in Transformer & Panda ST-Themes ThemeForest account on Envato has been Suspended :(:

I personally am very confident in Jonny Li and his products and he’s going to have his own website or some way of supporting his products and updating them.

Jonny has been updating the thread you linked to in your original post and has said that he plans to develop his own site to sell themes on and that he will continue to sell & support the themes.

Thinesh (Envato Market Help) Nov 21, 06:26 AEDT

A refund is the only option in this case for all the affected buyers.

Regards, Thinesh P L2 Help Officer

If someone has a way to ask Jonny about these refunds that would be great. If Envato is going to try to force him to pay (maybe from withheld funds they haven't paid him yet) then it would kind of suck for everyone to ask for a refund. However if Envato has to pay those refunds out of their own pocket, having 1,000+ users ask for a refund...

@alwayspaws said in Transformer & Panda ST-Themes ThemeForest account on Envato has been Suspended :(:

@dynambee I emailed Jonny a quick question about refunds but you and I both know Envat is not going to give refunds. At least that’s what I think. I don’t want a refund. I want continued support for that theme because I really like it.

Envato will give refunds if they have a way to force Jonny to pay for them.

It looks like Envato pays out only once per month so Jonny's account probably has at least 2 weeks worth of sales income. However since this seems to have happened right around when they pay out (15th) he probably has 6 weeks worth of sales income being held by them.

My guess would be that Envato will take any refund requests from that balance and if/when that balance hits zero they will deny further refund requests.