thirty bees forum

Understanding language / translation files of modules

30knees

Question

Hi,

I have a module with horrible translations. I had already installed it. So I went to the module's translations folder and edited the files there, eg en for English, de for German.

However, while this worked for English, it did not for German. I go into Localization>Translations>Installed Modules>Core>German and the German translation fields are partly filled with the core English translations.

What might the problem be?

5 answers to this question

Hi guys,

I cleared the cache multiple times and also waited 24h before posting here to be sure it's not a cache issue.

@moy2010 That's the thing. I don't understand the structure of the language modules.

I think I only edited the translation files - when I go Localization>Translations>Installed Modules>Core>English I see all the "original" entries of the developer and my new ones are translations. But I don't know where to look for the original entries...if I go through the module, it looks like they're scattered here and there in different files.

But, to answer your question: In Localization>Translations>Installed Modules>Core>English the translated fields are all filled with my edits in en.php, not with the default ones.

In Localization>Translations>Installed Modules>Core>German the translated fields are only partially filled with my edits in en.php ... and not at all from de.php and not from the default ones, either.

While looking for something else I came across this https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/541316-incl-mwst-weg-zzgl-versand-weg-lieferzeit-doppelt-auf-startseite/?do=findComment&comment=2471174:

PHP 7 steigt spätestens bei den Übersetzungen aus, da es die maxinputvars auf 1000 limitiert.

PHP 7 trips over translations, because it limits max_input_vars to 1000.

Thanks! I'm not using PHP 7, though, so it must be something else.

I've also read instructions on how to translate, eg https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/460777-tipp-wie-finde-ich-%C3%BCbersetzungen-die-ich-%C3%A4ndern-m%C3%B6chte-gilt-nicht-f%C3%BCr-prestashop-17/ but I did that.