thirty bees forum

Call for votes for (or against) upgrading Smarty

Traumflug

@lesley said in Call for votes for (or against) upgrading Smarty:

As for the feature requests, we are not implementing any new features into the 1.0.x branch. If we do, we will never leave the branch and will be at 1.0.187 before we know it, with no real core progress.

And what's wrong with that? If the 1.0.x is working very well and well accepted by the community, who said it must be so heavily modified? or even worse - must be upgraded to a core that is no longer backward compatible with PS? Modifying the core components (such as smarty) and refactoring the code for php 7.2+ is already a great move forward. Keeping up with those upgrades while adding more features, modules on the same 1.0.x branch can be very useful for this project and help increase the user base, trust and loyalty.

I just thought.... Guys, merchants are mostly worried about stability. Why do not spend some money in google ads for keywords like "prestashop 1.6 problem" and other longtails? Yes I know there is not much money but in comparison with your work, it is small change and you can attract a lot of merchants. Just need to create a good landing page adressing PS problems and telling that that problems doesn't happen with TB...Just an idea

@rubben1985 said in Call for votes for (or against) upgrading Smarty:

Guys, merchants are mostly worried about stability.

Merchants are mostly worried about profit. If any technology increases ROI, it is always welcomed. If stability leads to stagnation it will be replaced for something more optimal, leading to the profit and earnings growth.

It is kind of art - how to manage a project like a TB and to keep balance between holding those clients who already brings profit, and attracting new clients, who would bring earnings increase

Well that it is true, but it is not what i meant. With stability i want to say not breaking things and keep things going. Merchants are not generally big companies so breaking compatibily with their modules is not suitable for them, even more when modules offer in tb is so reduce now and this new technology only offer future, not present. If a new platform brings big improvemts and can be personalised because there is a big offer in modules and themes....sure people is willing to spend money and time but do you believe this is the case here? If compatibity with PS breaks, we only would have a platform with potential but without nothing more. How many people here would have migrated if TB would not be compatible with PS?