thirty bees forum

A mail problem

musicmaster

I have a little problem with my webshop: suddenly it doesn't send emails anymore. The test-mail doesn't work, the notification don't work and mails that customers wrote in the contact form aren't forwarded either.

I strongly suspect that it is not the webshop but the server. But I haven't made recent changes and I have no idea what could have caused the problem. It is a self managed server at DO so it can't be the hosting provider.

Does anyone have a suggestion how I could try to solve this problem?

I am using Postfix.

I checked mail.log. It has 17000 lines for just three days. Lots of "SASL LOGIN authentication failed" and an occasional timeout. But I see the same with another server that still works. Isn't it possible to set up things so that external login is impossible and only php scripts can access the mail server?

Anyway, I looked for some of my test mails in the log and found the error message "Client host rejected: cannot find your reverse hostname". Looking this up I found that this is about MX records. And indeed I haven't set a MX record in DO. However, neither do I have that with the other server and neither did I have that in the past.

I suppose that these log file entries mean that it isn't DO that blocks me. Or am I wrong?

So from what I understand you are sending mails from your server with phpmail. DO won't block your ports unless you have some spams or something worst coming out from your server, and they will probably inform you about it. MX records should be set from your domain name server (where you point you NS), so setting MX in DO will only work if you have your domain NS pointing to DO. Did you try something simple like restarting postfix or checking that its active? sudo systemctl status postfix, sudo systemctl enable postfix, sudo systemctl restart postfix You can also try to reconfigure postfix: sudo dpkg-reconfigure postfix

@yaniv14 said in A mail problem:

So from what I understand you are sending mails from your server with phpmail.

Sure, that is what Thirty Bees/Prestashop always does.

DO won't block your ports unless you have some spams or something worst coming out from your server, and they will probably inform you about it.

They haven't notified me. And I wonder whether you can notice that in your mail log (one of my previous questions).

Did you try something simple like restarting postfix or checking that its active?

I tried a lot. Like rebooting and even upgrading the server and TB.

I noticed that with sending to a Gmail address I get a different message: "This message does not have authentication information or fails to pass 550-5.7.1 authentication checks." The result is still the same.

@yaniv14 said in A mail problem:

Are you able to send emails from command line, like: "sendmail youremail@com" -> enter -> "some text" -> ctrl+d?

When I try that I get the following in mail.log. host smtp.secureserver.net[72.167.238.29] refused to talk to me: 554 p3plibsmtp01-13.prod.phx3.secureserver.net bizsmtp IB103. Connection refused. 82.196.3.125 has a poor reputation on Cloudmark Sender Intelligence (CSI). Please visit http://csi.cloudmark.com/reset-request/?ip=82.196.3.125 to request a delisting.

It looks like your IP has been blocked or marked as spam. Try the recommendation you got about removing your ip from the black list. Also you should setup a reverse dns in digital ocean, so your IP address will have a valid domain. And after that you should setup mx records and spf records that matches your ip/domain.

It turned out that I hadn't adapted my host name (nano /etc/hostname). DO as a default copies the name of the droplet as hostname. But if you haven't adapted it such a name looks like "ubuntu-2gb-ams2-01" (much longer with installed software) and it seems that those dashes are problematic.