thirty bees forum

How to Create Category Tree Directly in the Database

Weblan

Question

As I can't create a category tree via the back office because the tree builder isn't working, the tree will not expand, and no one seems to have any answers, how do you go about building a category tree directly in the data base.

I have database experience but I am unsure how the structure works and what entries are required to build the tree in the category tables.

There is also a Prestashop module Category Tree Rebuilder for sale that may be another option. Many in Prestashop seemed to have had this issue so I am assuming that the code in this area is a bit iffy. 

Thanks

4 answers to this question

Editing the database directly is verrrry tricky. Can't recommend to do this. For most stuff, editing a single table isn't sufficient. There are tables for categories, tables to map these to shops, tables to map them to languages, and so on.

Grabbing a bag of patience and a cup of coffee for doing it manually is a much safer way.

Hi Traumflug,
As the usual way of creating the category tree in the back office isn't working, tree expander not functioning, how does one make it manually without going directly into the DB?

So for in the back office all I can do is add new top level categories that also do not show up in the tree. Using the add sub category makes no difference. Going into a top level category and adding a sub category still puts the new sub category in the top category list.

I have not tried importing a file yet, though, the sample file does not show how to include sub categories so it is very much lacking.

While I need to get the site usable ASAP, I am always willing to spend time on the tasks.

Thanks

Yes that is what I was doing.

Just tried something else in the category creator. 

For some reason I'm now able to create sub categories now, and they do show up in the tree now.

I must have been having resource or cache issues because a free things have finally freed up now.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Thanks

• Like 2