thirty bees forum

Direction question and thanks

Factor

All:

First let me say thanks and give you kudos for all the hard work.  Sometimes it might be hard as a user to be patient.  Its sometime hard to realize this is a Volunteer project.  I for one am thankful you all care about the software and the users.  Keep up the good work and if I can help you I will be glad too.

Now to my very vague and unassuming question/s.  When I read Markus' post I picked up on something that leads me to the question.  I might be reading between the lines to much so that is a caveat.

separating theme installation from AdminThemesController, into class Theme

I know that eventually the 2 projects will diverge and Thirty Bees will be it "own thing" and the other guys will be its own thing.  I assume that is the goal to be a better and different piece of software.  So where on that road does that put us related to compatibility.  In simple terms when I upgrade to TB version X in the future will that compatability be gone?  Now I know you might not know this now.  I ask because mostly I dont see alot of work in the area of Modules or Themes outside older PS ones and 3rd parties (not complaining just stating what I see).  I assume it's because it more important to build a better core which I totally agree.  Let me do simple again.  Is the hope for other 3rd parties to just adopt TB as another Platform to Dev on?  I think maybe I am just interested in the overall general direction and roadmap.  Maybe that is out there somewhere and I missed it.

Again since emotion is hard to convey in a post.  I say this all happy and with a smile on my face.  True interest in my heart.

Thanks...

As mentioned many times, compatibility with PS 1.6.x won't go away.

To take your example, this separation of theme installation code is done already and was of course tested with PS themes. It works better than ever before. thirty bees might well become more PS compatible than PS its self.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Traumflug said:

As mentioned many times, compatibility with PS 1.6.x won't go away.

This is very interesting and relieving to hear.

My memory from the earlier days of TB is that the plan was to maintain PS 1.6.x compatibility for the 1.0.x release of TB but that compatibility would start to break with the 1.1.x releases.

I am very happy to hear that either my memory is wrong or that TB's planned path forward has shifted.

20 hours ago, dynambee said:

My memory from the earlier days of TB is that the plan was to maintain PS 1.6.x compatibility for the 1.0.x release of TB but that compatibility would start to break with the 1.1.x releases.

Yes, this was the idea. Actually working on improvements turned out that one can pretty much always provide a backwards compatibility path.

What's left is removal of old, no longer needed stuff. For example, PHP 5.5 support. Or support for the old (pre PS 1.5) image storage layout. Or support for multiple encryption algorithms. Or support for mixed secure/insecure pages. Lots of performance and reliability improvement opportunities without breaking existing themes and existing installations.

• Thanks 1