thirty bees forum

What is the best solution for sales tax?

210Workshop

Is there a module that can handle it all, or is there an easy way to import? All I see is the ability to add 1 zip code at a time, or a zip code range... However, if I use zip code range, I will have overlap between counties. For instance (and not accurate zip codes) Palm Beach County may have zip codes: 33000 and 33009, but zip code 33005 is in Broward County. I need an easier way to do this, and I don't see a module available

Unfortunately zip codes are often not a great way to define sales taxes but without a custom module (which AFAIK does not exist for PS or TB) it's all there is.

You can get zip code based tax tables for free from here. They also explain why in some cases using zip codes for tax tables isn't a good idea, which is also why they give the zip code tax rate data away for free.

Thank you for the reply. I should have mentioned that I'd much rather enter county data, instead of zip code data, but that doesn't seem to be an option. In Florida, many counties charge a surtax, whereas, Florida's base sales tax is 6%. Is it legal to keep it simple, charge 6% statewide and balance it out later, and just eat the difference for the counties with a surtax? (fyi, Florida is a destination based / buyer based state). 

15 minutes ago, 210Workshop said:

In Florida, many counties charge a surtax, whereas, Florida's base sales tax is 6%. Is it legal to keep it simple, charge 6% statewide and balance it out later, and just eat the difference for the counties with a surtax?

Governments often don't work on common sense so I wouldn't rely on a common sense approach to the problem. I suggest asking your accountant about it because they will have a good idea how it should work.

• Like 1