thirty bees forum

Multistore Question

jnsgioia

I have a question about how the payment modules work with the multistore. For instance, if I have a store at www.abc and one at www.xyz will I be able to have payments for www.abc go to stripe account abc and payments for www.xyz go to stripe account xyz?

I have a second store which I am planning to move to tb and I am wondering if it would be better to add it with multistore or have a completely new tb installation on the second domain.

Well is there any reason why you would need a second installation? In case you wanna use the same theme or the same products, just anything the same, it logical to use multistore.

We use multistore with tb in live production. There are still some old bugs left. But all in all multistore works better than it's reputation.

@wakabayashi I didn't explain it well. I have the default store on LJsBooks.com, a normal tb installation. The second store is StarGeezerStuff.com which currently has an ecwid cart which is slower than molasses in January. I need to keep the homepage for the StarGeezer site as it is. The links in the StarGeezer Stuff section will point to the appropriate category in the store. Is there a way to do that with multistore or do I need a second application of tb in a subfolder on StarGeezerStuff.com?

My other alternative is to create a new theme for the StarGeezer site with the home page as close to the current home page as possible.

I would do like this: - Migrate manually the ecwid cart to tb and use multistore. - If you want a landing page as homepage, you could either customize your template or you install tb on subfolder. Then you will have url like lsjsbooks.com/shop and stargeezerstuff.com/shop

I always wondered why one can configure different physical URIs for different shops. Unless I miss something, URLs always have to end up at the installation folder; having a shop spread/splitted across two folders isn't possible.

If somebody knows what the point of this is, I'm all ears. Because I have commits for removing this setting already, it can be figured from existing PHP variables easily (just like the installer does).

Now, to solve @jnsgioia's case: one strategy certainly working is to put the shop into .../shop/ for both domains. Then to add a small .htaccess into ljsbooks.com's root folder with a (permanent) redirect to that folder. In this case, customers can notice the redirection, of course, the URL changes.

Not sure whether a similar arrangement with an URL rewrite (instead of redirect) in this small .htaccess is possible as well. This would end up in a double-rewrite, then. Once in the small .htaccess, then again in the installation directory.

Ok, right now I have a redirect set up for StarGeezerStuff.com/store to LJsBooks.com with the multistore set up as above and it is not working. If I move everything from LJsBooks.com to LJsBooks.com/store, set up the redirect to be StarGeezerStuff.com/store to LJsBooks.com/store, redirect LJsBooks.com to LJsBooks.com/store, and put store in the physical url for both sites it should work?

Sounds like a good plan.

To not mess up everything it's perhaps a good idea to practice with a shop copy or a standard installation, first. Every commodity PC has at least four network names: localhost, 127.0.0.1, network name and network number. In 30bz' eyes these are four distinct domains, enough for an experimental setup.

Wait, can't you use server maintenance tools to point LJsBooks.com directly to the shop installation folder? 30bz can't do this, but Apache configuration can.

Let me try to illustrate.

• 30bz is installed in /var/www/html/bookstores/shop.
  • Apache configures /var/www/html/bookstores as root folder for StarGeezerStuff.com.
  • Apache configures /var/www/html/bookstores/shop as root folder for LJsBooks.com.

Doesn't sound complicated as long as one can change Apache's configuration.

Nice side effect: suddenly distinct physical URIs for distinct domains of a multishop make sense!

Right now this is how the server is configured.

I have a main domain gioiamiapublications.com. StarGeezerStuff.com and LJsBooks.com are addon domains.

The web root for LJsBooks.com is /public_html/LJsBooks.com (30bz is installed here)

The web root for StarGeezerStuff.com is public_html/StarGeezerStuff.com

So you are saying I should create a folder /shop in /publichtml move 30bz installation to that folder and change the web root for LJsBooks.com to publichtml/shop/

Or can I just rename the folder LJsbooks.com in publichtml to shop and then change the web root for LJsBooks.com in the Addon pane to publichtml/shop

So you are saying I should create a folder /shop in /publichtml move 30bz installation to that folder and change the web root for LJsBooks.com to publichtml/shop/

Yes.

Or can I just rename the folder LJsbooks.com in publichtml to shop and then change the web root for LJsBooks.com in the Addon pane to publichtml/shop

Outcome is the same, isn't it?

I got it working! I had to put the store as a subfolder in StarGeezerStuff.com and then point LJsBooks.com to that folder. Now I am working on the theme for StarGeezerStuff.com/store to make it look like the home page.

@Traumflug and @wakabayashi THANK YOU for all your help!!