thirty bees forum

[MODULE] Enhance your template with a simple click

Mediacom87

I tried the demo. The PS and the TB one.

- The results with pingdoom and google pagespeed is that there is no difference (some times a little better, sometimes a little worst so i would say it is simple aleatory due to servers). This can be because the demo website is very light and with only a few products, but i hoped something would improve.

- Lazy load, that could be the thing i can visually recognize, i can not see how it is working. Usually with lazy loading you can see how images load if you scroll down very fast. here I can not see that.

- Pre-connect: i see this is reflected in the code with option is on. But I was not able to check with any tool that really improve performance.

- Image dimensions: very interesting feature. I know i have some images with this problem because i saw it with some tools (gtmetrix i think), but I am not sure how to test if this works of not since the demo usually is well constructed and there are not missing things.

- preload images: not sure how it works so I will not evaluate it.

What to say, I think the module have interesting features but I could not proof any of them to have a real impact (in the demo store). Maybe It would be more evident in a shop with a lot of products, images... who knows. Maybe I will try it whith my new web when it  is done and see how it can impact a more "heavy" design.

30 minutes ago, rubben1985 said:

- The results with pingdoom and google pagespeed is that there is no difference (some times a little better, sometimes a little worst so i would say it is simple aleatory due to servers). This can be because the demo website is very light and with only a few products, but i hoped something would improve.

As I already said, the module will not make any miracle but will correct disruptive elements on poorly developed templates that do not take advantage of the optimization offered by Thirtybees.

38 minutes ago, rubben1985 said:

- Lazy load, that could be the thing i can visually recognize, i can not see how it is working. Usually with lazy loading you can see how images load if you scroll down very fast. here I can not see that.

The module allows you to add the native option for all browsers even for the old one without using a javascript code and therefore without asking for additional loading, but it is preferable to correct the template to avoid having to use this option that's why the Tests tab was added to help in the analysis of its site.

40 minutes ago, rubben1985 said:

- Pre-connect: i see this is reflected in the code with option is on. But I was not able to check with any tool that really improve performance.

Here, we are on strong optimization but not a revolution either, some templates already integrate this type of optimization but not all, the module allows you to easily add the scripts that are poorly optimized on some third party modules that do not integrate properly the external scripts. You will find several articles available online to understand the concept, I can't explain everything in my module otherwise I would have to develop 4 or 5 complete articles and that would overload the module.

But I already explain in the module how to identify external scripts.

43 minutes ago, rubben1985 said:

- Image dimensions: very interesting feature. I know i have some images with this problem because i saw it with some tools (gtmetrix i think), but I am not sure how to test if this works of not since the demo usually is well constructed and there are not missing things.

Excuse me, I didn't take the time to install a low quality template on this demo, because if I did, I would just say that it's too easy to put a low quality template to demonstrate the quality of the module so I use a basic installation.

45 minutes ago, rubben1985 said:

- preload images: not sure how it works so I will not evaluate it.

You must be talking about the preloading of pages, not images. This is clearly explained in the module, I wonder why I bothered to set up the most complete FAQ possible, since nobody seems to read it:

image.png.e8eec66a68241db2a31be26696f7ef07.png

Basically, if you look at your browser console when you hover over a link, you'll see that the browser will call up that page to preload it before you click on the link.

This is really the most interesting option for your visitors, but there is no testing tool to compare this kind of thing.

The other part is the test tool on images even if it is less conclusive on thirtybees since the template uses a modern technique to display images.

I invite you to test this on the other demos to understand the usefulness of this tab.

The module is of no use to a good developer who knows how to correct his template and implement good practices except for the preloading of pages, but it can help novices to improve their site without calling a professional and thus learn to better manage their site.

By default, the page preloads 65 ms after a link is hovered over and when a mobile user starts touching the screen.

I will integrate in a next version options to customize this kind of thing like proposing the preload only when the client clicks on the link which can improve the preload time by 80ms, or adapt the delay before preloading to increase it and wait longer before preloading the pages to consume less resources even if the consumption is reduced since it loads raw html without the resources.

In any case, this module will evolve if I manage to sell it because I use it myself, so it's in my interest to make it perform well.