thirty bees forum

CSV problems - missing short descriptions, headers too big

alwayspaws

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my combination values of size and color get separated by a comma and that's all. Is that correct?

example: size,color

What are the separators supposed to be on the import page when we upload the file?

Is the update @Traumflug created available now? Or when the ticket gets closed?

Hmmz, xlsx, ods, odt, xls, you name it

That's the problem, there are so many different formats.

If you want a comma in the value itself, make sure you enclose it in quotes.

I fear it's difficult to change how a given spreadsheet exports CSV. There is no clear standardization: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values#Standardization

Quote:

Reliance on the standard documented by RFC 4180 can simplify CSV exchange. However, this standard only specifies handling of text-based fields. Interpretation of the text of each field is still application-specific.

Personally I tend to put emphasis on one format, only, and support that in all observed flavors. A .xls written by Excel, then converted by PHPExcel might give different results than a .xls written by OpenOffice or GNUmeric, then interpreted by PHPexcel. All of these desktop applications support exporting to CSV, so it's (almost) no extra work for merchants to do this export.

What would be viewed as the "standard" spreadsheet format that will work with thirtybees imports?

The way I do it is I create a spreadsheet with OpenOffice calc and use the ".ods" file extension so that I can copy and paste and manipulate the data any way I want. Then I convert it to ".csv" but it looks like I won't have to do that any more! Yay! (I hope!)