thirty bees forum

autocomplete attributes on username and password fields?

haylau

I use a password locker to automatically insert my usernnames and passwords as required (Dashlane, but there are many out there)

It has recently stopped working on ThirtyBees so i am investigating why. Dashlane themselves have made lots of recent changes so it could be them, but when I looked at the browser console on the ThirtyBees log in page, I noticed this warning

[DOM] Input elements should have autocomplete attributes (suggested: "current-password"): (More info: https://goo.gl/9p2vKq) <input class="is_required validate account_input form-control" type="password" data-validate="isPasswd" id="passwd" name="passwd" value required data-kwimpalastatus="alive" data-kwimpalaid="1620204369758-0">

Is this something ThirtyBees needs to address?

The link suggests:

Use autocomplete attributes

Autocomplete attributes help password managers to infer the purpose of a field in a form, saving them from accidentally saving or autofilling the wrong data. A little annotation can go a long way: some common values for text fields are “username”, “current-password” (login forms and change password forms) and “new-password” (registration and change password forms). See a detailed write-up with examples.

18 minutes ago, Traumflug said:

Firefox (and probably Chrome, Safari, ...) has a nice built-in password storage, no need for extra modules. Works still perfectly fine.

Yes i know. But for sharing between people and devices many companies and individuals use password storage systems. I was not looking at this from a personal point of view, but wider. If users are going to start having problems because of these browser changes..................

If you have access to the files for your theme, this is easy enough to add. Even if you have 0 experience.

These aren't required by any standard, and are only recommendations.

But honestly, if your password manager won't populate a field that is set type="password" in an obvious HTML form, then it's probably the problem.

7 minutes ago, mwrouse said:

If you have access to the files for your theme, this is easy enough to add. Even if you have 0 experience.

These aren't required by any standard, and are only recommendations.

But honestly, if your password manager won't populate a field that is set type="password" in an obvious HTML form, then it's probably the problem.

As mentioned, this is not about me, or my specific password manager. I am more than capable of sorting out my passwords. 

I was asking if this is something that thirtybees needed to address going forward. Conventions change over time and I was just checking of this was going to be a problem going forward for customers