thirty bees forum

Improvements on IdentityController needed or not?

wakabayashi

Right now I am cleaning up the identity controller (when customer changes his profile in frontOffice) a little bit. IMO it was done a bit untidy. For my store I will also change the behaviour a little. I wondered, if it's wanted in the core to:

• Using date field type for birthday instead of three selects (dd-mm-yyyy).
  • Now customer are forced to type their password each time, they change their profile. I want to make this restriction only, if he changes his password or eail. Why? At registration we have optional fields like birthday. Later I hope a customer would complete their profile, but obviously don't want to force them to type their password. As an user I hate such tasks. My brain says: ok sorry, then no birthday.
  • I will implement an account deletion apply function. Important: it's an apply. A merchant will be notified somehow about it and then he can handle it. Of course this will also require the user to type his current password. This could also be implemented by a module, but IMO this functionality is kind of a core thing (at least much more than other things being on core).

Opinions?

Edited by wakabayashi

1. I would like the option to turn off this field altogether because I don't need this information, I don't do such statistics and it's slowing the registration + GDPR....

2. I'm not sure that if the customer is logged in they should not be asked for a pass for changing anything other than (stored) payment details (which we don't store as far as know anywhere in TB).

3. This is a must for TB core as per GDPR. It would be nice to be extended with the other GDPR bloatware too. And there should be simple switch somewhere in BO (Do you need GDPR? Yes/No), then those options become visible. Merchants who don't care about it don't use it and their BO doesn't get bloated with stuff.

1 hour ago, the.rampage.rado said:

1. I would like the option to turn off this field altogether because I don't need this information, I don't do such statistics and it's slowing the registration + GDPR....

It would be easy to add another configuration switch, but I dont like this idea as the BO is already now bloated with configurations. Somehow we need a proper form handler that allows required/optional setting for each field and allows to add custom fields. Obviously that's a huge and complex task, that won't come soon. I would recommend you, to just use CSS and hide the birthday field 🙂

2. I'm not sure that if the customer is logged in they should not be asked for a pass for changing anything other than (stored) payment details (which we don't store as far as know anywhere in TB).

Thought that too. But also thought, if somebody goes on your computer, while you are logged in... That's why I want to secure password change, email change and account deletion. The rest isnt too critical imo. Saving payment infos on tb is crazy imo, I would never do it.

3. This is a must for TB core as per GDPR. It would be nice to be extended with the other GDPR bloatware too. And there should be simple switch somewhere in BO (Do you need GDPR? Yes/No), then those options become visible. Merchants who don't care about it don't use it and their BO doesn't get bloated with stuff.

Yeah I thought so, that this feature could even be a must in some countries. In general I don't think that all GDPR settings should be in core. Actually there is a module, but maybe it was never finished (?) https://github.com/thirtybees/tbgdpr. I don't need GDPR and don't know the rules, that's why I won't work on this deeply. How are you handling it now?

13 minutes ago, wakabayashi said:

Yeah I thought so, that this feature could even be a must in some countries. In general I don't think that all GDPR settings should be in core. Actually there is a module, but maybe it was never finished (?) https://github.com/thirtybees/tbgdpr. I don't need GDPR and don't know the rules, that's why I won't work on this deeply. How are you handling it now?

Flying low under the radar.... :/ 

• Haha 1