thirty bees forum

[solved] Guide how to download latest files of e.g. V1.0.3 via GIT/Sourcetree?

Pedalman

Question

Hello

on GIT we can find the stable TB 1.0.3 and the ReleaseCanditate in development. The latest takes the most horse power/developer ressources I assume but there were of course also some fixes to the TB1.0.3 I have downloaded and installed in OCT2017 or so. How can I make sure I have all these fixes running on my livesystem?

I guess I need to monitor the GIT repo. So I installed Sourcetree and cloned the TB repo. Anyway, I need to know how I can make sure that 1.0.3 and 1.0.4 or what ever do not get mixed up when I download... Can some be so nice to take some time to explain this to be in words or screenshot with whatever GIT client he uses (except bash :D).

PS: I just stumbled in BO over system information and saw that there are three files listed that are supposed to be different from the source (which ever version (date) is meant and referred to here). Two I could reconize since I changed contend(edited them. But one I did not. The ContactController.php.

So I did a file comparisson with the ContactController.php online and the one of the 1.0.3 I once downloaded. Well, they differ very much.

=> So, in a nutshell, I just want to make sure my V1.0.3 is up to date and I do not post issues and problems in the forum that might be already fixed a long time ago.

8 answers to this question

Hi. I know about that one.

Anyhow, my question was not about how to upgrade to 1.0.4 but how to maintain a running 1.0.3 best.

The normal shop runner would just wait until the ecommerce system tells him that there are core updated or module updates and would update.

That is what I would do too, since I am no expert in all things. BUT I on GIT you see that there are dozens of fixes related to 1.0.3. I am asking what the best method is to get 1.0.3 up to date. Do I have to monitor the GIT and then download each fix --> I <--- might concern important? I think that could certainly cause more problems than solve. Should I download the repo zip (that is also linked in your cited tutorial) and copy it over my 'older' files?...

@pedalman there are no commits related to 1.0.3. Version 1.0.3 is just a tag, a bookmark in history of branch 1.0.x. Everything and anything committed after this point in time is part of upcoming version 1.0.4

Now, if there is some fix that's really important to you, and you are not willing to wait for next version, you can cherry-pick this commit.

Start by creating your own branch

git checkout -b branch1.0.3 1.0.3

This will create new branch named branch1.0.3 from commit associated with tag 1.0.3. It's like you have traveled back in time and have the same codebase as it was at the time 1.0.3 was released. Now, you can use

git cherry-pick <commit-hash>

where commit-hash is id of commit (from the future) you wish to merge to your 1.0.3 branch. Obviously, this can be a dangerous operation, as the commit can depend on code that didn't exists in 1.0.3 yet... so test it properly.

Wow, thank you datakick. That was more information than I can dig at the moment but I get a good understanding of the complexity and how I might have to procede. Perhaps I can retrace your examplatory steps in Sourcetree but I see that the need has gone and I am best to wait for stable 1.4.

Thanks alot

Okay, I see that the tag 1.0.3 dates back to 18th August 2017... So, all committments later than that are part of upcoming 1.0.4.

What isn't optimal now for me is that I believe that there are fixes and also improvements that might be related to 1.0.3, too. You know what I mean, everybody wants a flawless and fast as possible core. For me as normal shop runner it is now difficult to stay tuned :)

E.g. I have issues with productcomments module. If there are newer committments how do I know if they only work with 1.0.4? What about e.b. latest PayPal module? It is out for months and meant to fix known issues with V5.x. But V6 is still beta or does only work with 1.0.4? So confusing for me that I think best is not be concernced with all that anymore.

..Also, the module ProductComments is on version 4.0.3, for both tb1.0.3 and 1.0.4, so if thats what version you have, you're on the latest. I would consider looking at @datakick 's module revws though, it's a big improvment on the stock module, and you can import your old ProductComments reviews into it. Again it will work on 1.0.3 and 1.0.4.