thirty bees forum

Bitbucket and updates?

Smile

We would like to use bitbucket to track all our changes in the code. But as we do small changes mostly theme this is easily done. We update them on sourcetree and then manually to the live site. We could possibly also use cPanel to link it to the live site, but we don't have experiences jet with that. The question is how to deal with an update by using the update module. Or should we do updates manually by only overwriting files and run a DB update? Or how to solve this? 

Any one experiences with that?

Well I think the whole software makes sense? As sometime specific modules and overrides are used..... We are also working on linking an ERP to the software so.... There can be some serious changes. Correct me if I am wrong....

I think it will be problematic to track the whole software. If I were going to track the whole software, I would track a dev site. Then I would get everything right on the dev site, with merged commits, tested packages, ect. Then I would pull the live site from the dev site. That is the only way I can see it happening since you will be editing core files, modules, and other files. 

@Smile what you are trying to do is to maintain your own fork of thirtybees platform, with all the benefits and drawbacks. This also means that you can't use update module to update your site, because this module works against thirtybees codebase. To keep updated, you will need to manually merge thirtybees git repository to your bitbucket fork, resolve all potential conflicts, and then manually update your site. This can get pretty ugly.

I would recommend you

1) not change core code. Implement your own custom module instread, and hooks / overrides to extend the core functionality

2) if you plan to change community theme, then clone this theme to your own, change it's name, and carry on from there. You can, of course, try to merge changes to community theme to your theme, if it makes sense. But even if you don't, you should be ok. Your *old* theme should still be compatible even in future version of thirtybees