thirty bees forum

Adding a store front

pjr

I'm in the process of making a PWA "progressive web app" from our store. 
For this i need to design a stripped down theme to make the site feel more like an "app".

I enabled multistore and created a new store in my default group but I'm facing some problems:

1. The store group options to share customers and orders are locked in "no". 
    Can i change this to "yes" directly in the database without breaking anything?
  2. Unable to define the additional store url to "https://myshop.com/appview/" getting 404 not found

Any thoughts about this?

• Like 1

PS 1.6 Manual.

http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS16/Managing+Multiple+Shops

First do you fit the criteria.  Sounds like you are one store with an app not 2 distinct store.  Though I cant tell for sure.

How to decide if you need the multistore feature

You may find yourself wanting to use the multistore feature, when in fact it is not necessary. For instance, if you want a multilingual shop, or if you need to use more than one currency, or if you would like to have a different graphic template for each category.

Here are two questions that you should ask yourself before deciding to enable the multistore feature:

1. Do you want your shops to have a different price for the same product (besides special discounts for a client or group of clients).
    If the answer is 'yes', then you need to use the multistore feature.
  2. When a client buys from one shop, would you want him or her to not have access that shop's order history and invoices from the other shop (even if the client have the same login credentials on both shops).
    If the answer is 'yes', then you need to use the multistore feature: the shops will not share their carts and orders, and customers putting items in their cart for shop 1 will not see these items in their cart for shop 2.

If the answer is 'no' to both questions, then the multistore feature is not for you.

8 minutes ago, Brent Dacus said:

You may find yourself wanting to use the multistore feature, when in fact it is not necessary. For instance, if you want a multilingual shop, or if you need to use more than one currency, or if you would like to have a different graphic template for each category.

Yes, but how to have a different "graphic display" or theme layout for a subdomain, using the same store?

Themes get applied to a shop, so a need for two themes also means a need for two shops.

That said, it's not exactly obvious why a PWA would need a distinct theme. Screen size is about the same, target customer is the same, shop is the same, products are the same, so it might be a good idea to simplify the shop not only for those dragging your site to the desktop, but for everybody.

On 6/9/2019 at 10:30 AM, Traumflug said:

Screen size is about the same, target customer is the same, shop is the same, products are the same, so it might be a good idea to simplify the shop not only for those dragging your site to the desktop, but for everybody.

Shop owner requirements - it's a private b2b store.

Personally i think its a waste of time, i dont use apps. But many big brand fashion stores have PWAs that are no more than stylized versions of the main website.

I think the end game is to offer a "better" interface to frequent users and attract them to use the app, then use push notifications instead lame old newsletters.

Edited by pjr

21 hours ago, wakabayashi said:

i I dont get the idea of this project to be honest. To use multistore without having multiple stores is asking for troubles. 

Why can't you just optimize your theme? Like having a super fresh and modern responsive theme? 

I agree with you from the developer point of view. I had this argument with the store owner - i lost XD. The store is already performing well, theme is clean and responsive. They just want something different.

Marketing wise, there is something to gain. Big chain fashion stores seem to believe it also - Bershka, Zara, Pull&Bear, Jack & Jones, ... they also have a freaking app.

I think its because there's low noise in push notification marketing compared to email.

On the other side, making an webview app is easy and fast nowadays and some websites are asking crazy prices for automated app creation, like < $500. Companies maybe pushing this to their customers for easy profit.

• 1 month later...

Just an update about this "crazy" progressive web app topic. M$gent% 2.3 is developing an PWA studio. This will allow "easy" deployment and mobile users will be able to add the app to home screen, browse offline and more. They figured out all the effort will payoff in customer engagement and conversions.