thirty bees forum

hostinger.com

AndyC

Can I ask is anyone using hostinger for their hosting.. I have to move from siteground as my time is up with them as they wanting £378 for the year which is completely unrealistic compared to hostinger £122 for 2 years on VPS

Edited by AndyC

Looking up one of the major players to get a basic idea about pricing is always a good idea, even when they don't necessarily have the best offering.

https://www.hetzner.de/webhosting

https://www.hetzner.de/managed-server

As one can see, prices largely depend on the expected traffic. Hosting for € 2.-/month should do for a hobbyist site where page loading time doesn't matter much and one rarely expects more than one visitor at a time. The more visitors one expects and the more competitive response times should be, the more expensive it gets.

Not an easy decision 🙂 Just one recommendation: if you have the choice, stay away from storage on magnetic disks (often named 'HDD'). Unless one wants to store terabytes of data, SATA SSD or, even better, NVMe SSD is state of the art.

• 1 month later...

I got burned by registering my domain with a host, who tried to prevent exit and raise the price.

Penguin-uk.com are great for domain registration. They helped extract my domain and they're cheap.

Hosting.co.uk were recommended somewhere and have been fine for low traffic on their cheapest shared host deal. That deal provides space for some test sites as well. It's a bottom-end price that doesn't increase after the first year (I hope).

Cloudflare do my free secure server, but were fiddly to set-up.

Careful scouring of the fastest sites on Webperf.org didn't help me find a good host. I just googled recommendations from site-writing companies this time around.

Possibly will stay with Hostinger .. I lover their Control Panel, extremely easy to use.. Speed is slightly on the low side but for me it'll have to be enough.

I took 2 years contract and learnt a hell of a lot about moving servers etc. As I did it all myself